RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Today's Palmetto

Author Topic: Today's Palmetto
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was in Florence, SC today picking up some tickets and saw the Palmetto.

I don't know if this is representative of the rest of Amtrak, but in over ten years of periodic Palmetto sightings or trips I have never seen it this crowded.

The agent said this has been the norm in recent months. In the past the train has operated with 4 coaches with one closed off for passengers boarding up the line. Today it had 5 with all appearing to be fully occupied upon departure. The agent said well over 100 boarded in Charleston and I counted about 65 getting on in Florence - in the past the count has been 35-40 and this was mid week.

The business class/cafe was on the rear and the baggage car made a 7 car train.

There is a recession isn't there?

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fourth of July weekend?

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, good point and I am sure it has some impact from those getting an early start. But the good news is that the agent said these are the loadings he is seeing on a daily basis now. In holiday periods in the past I have never seen the 5th coach. Maybe the Amfleet repair program is finally yielding some positive results.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They have been like this the last few months I take it from time to time. It loads a good 60 going north a lot. Usually when I come back from the Beach I watch it pull in going north or south. It is always like that now.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
This past weekend, I rode the Palmetto back from Richmond. Still a crowded train and, the big news, the nice Business Class/Cafe car with leather 2/1 seating was gone - at least on that Sunday.

In its place was a full cafe car and an Amfleet II coach acting as a BC car. I guess the success of the Palmetto (and additional equipment availability thanks to the stimulus refurbishment program) has resulted in this change. The BC had 19 passengers - more than the capacity of the combined BC/cafe car.

3 of the 4 coaches were full with the 4th, an Amfleet I car, about 1/3 full. Train was on time.

Interestingly, I took train 67, the overnight train from Boston, for the short hop from Ashland into Richmond. It only had 4 coaches and, you guessed it, the cafe/BC car similar to the one that had been on the Palmetto. Perhaps some coaches were cut off from the train during engine change in Washington.

MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are currrently running a shortened version of 66/67 South of Wash DC, including Baggage car off at DC due to track and/or platform work in Newport News. This is continuing "indefinitely" according to memo issued to employees.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have tickets for 89 on Nov7. Business class. The last time I took it to charleston there were all of 4 of us in BC and 3 got off in Chas. It will be interesting to see what is what this time.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Glad you're headed south, Train Lady. Hope the trip goes well. While Savannah doesn't have quite the dining reputation of Charleston, in some ways the city is nicer. The big difference is the large number of large live oak trees covering the many city parks - seems there is one almost every block. Very pleasant place to walk. No doubt you have reread 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil' before your trip! And, thought you'd like to know my better half is addicted to her Kindle now - it beats hauling books around on trips.

The BC car will be on the end of the train, so you can view Mr. Norman's pine trees out the rear window, too.

train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland, I haven't been in Savannah since 1986 so I can hardly wait to see all the wonderful buildings again. We drove last time so taking the train wil be an adventure in itself. BTW tell your better half as soon as I get the books unpacked there is one with her name on it.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train Lady Savannah has revitalized its downtown, you asked for some dinning info, if you want to splurge abit (er alot) The Pink House is excellent. The historical area has multiple tours via trolley or walking tour. The Architecutural Tour by a Student from the Art and Design School. When I was last there in '07 they where rebuilding the Market Area Square tearing down the parking lot and submerging it and rebuilding the original square design, they have done a great job except for the Large Hilton Hotel stuck in the center of River Street apparently what was on paper was abit different then what the finished product looked like.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
thanks Tanner. I have found one way to save on meals and yet try really good restaurants is to have lunch there. then for dinner it's soup and salad or sandwich . We got an excellent deal on a hotel in the historical district and every room comes with fridge and micro, so my friend pointed out we can always stop at the great market they have and take food back to the room.My husband and I often did that on long trips and it made a nice change from the restaurant scene.We are planning to take the historical tour, and also the land and sea. We have several others in mind.
"while I have you guys on the line.. " what is the food situation on the Palmetto? I know there is no diner but wondered if the food in the lounge/club has improved

palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Trainlady-cafe food is still uninspiring but the bread on sandwiches seems a bit better. Hamburger not as good as on a real diner. On the recent trip, after a weekend of unhealthy stuff, I had the chicken caesar salad. Not bad with chunks of real chicken. But, I had the last one and that was at 1PM.

One good thing about the full cafe car - more room to spread out. Certainly better than trying to eat at your seat. However there are still too many tables used to store supplies or for crew lounging - not very professional looking.

I have also gotten sandwiches at the food stall right inside the door to the tracks in Richmond. Pretty good sandwiches - might run in there for your 10 minute station stop.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train lady, The cafe/snack bars run out of the decent salads so often, my advice is, unless you like hot dogs or burgers with soggy buns, have a very big breakfast, bring some really good sandwiches etc of your own for a late lunch, and bring cookies, cheese, crackers or bread, fruit (grapes are nice), etc., for dinner. Then buy beverages on the train, including maybe a little vino (which I think is pretty good). One snack that isn't bad that they often have now IMO is hummus and crackers.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page