RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What does "Limited" mean?

Author Topic: What does "Limited" mean?
jimmymac
Member # 1182

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for jimmymac     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the meaning of the term "Limited" in the Sunset Limited title? I also noted that other trains that were operated by the PRR and NYC were named "Broadway Limited" and "20th Century Limited". Thanks.
Posts: 57 | From: Huntersville, NC USA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
reggierail
Member # 26

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for reggierail     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As opposed to a local or milk/mail run, a limited would literally only make limited stops enroute to its destination.

Reggie

Posts: 462 | From: Bakersfield Ca., 93312 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Reggie. I've been wondering that, too. I've alsways thought it a little odd that Amtrak's longest train run was called the "limited." Seemed a little incongruous. Then I thought it might refer to it's "try-weakly" frequency. Now we know the truth.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
atsf3751
Member # 1538

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for atsf3751   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and typically these were the railroad's premier trains and would run on the tightest schedules. Of course, the Sunset Limited rarely lives up to its prestigious name anymore.
Posts: 246 | From: Anaheim, CA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sunset Limited Number of Times We Arrive On-Time.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eric:
Sunset Limited Number of Times We Arrive On-Time.

HaHaHaHa!!!!!

Very good!

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irish1
Member # 222

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for irish1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my favorite train when i was a kid was the milwaukee roads copper country limited. it ran daily from calumet mi. to chicago il. it stopped every 15 miles and i always wondered how it got the name limited. the t run was march 8th 1968.
Posts: 175 | From: FENCE WI USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
petert1981
Member # 1764

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for petert1981     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curiously..the other term which you often hear in relation to trains or transit is "EXPRESS". It's largely accepted to mean that the train runs from origin to terminus without intermediate stops. However, if you consider that the Acela 'Express' makes a handfull of stops as it traverses the NEC, it's a strange moniker. It seems that Amtrak attempted to get around the use of the word 'limited' by using the name "Regional". I think the name that worked best on that run was "Metroliner". No, 'express'; no 'limited'; no 'regional'. Just Metroliner. It's a 'liner' that travels through metro areas.

Posts: 1 | From: Mesquite, TX USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly the term "express" in Europe has never meant no intermediate stops, rather limited stops instead. A "local" or "stopper" is one that stops frequently, a "regional" may make fewer stops, an express fewer stops still. At the end of the day, it's what the operator decides it will be, eye of the beholder and all that.

What about the subways in New York? They have expresses and locals, don't they? Again, limited stops. I'd be curious to hear where "express means no stops" comes from.

Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
petert1981 wrote:
"However, if you consider that the Acela 'Express' makes a handful of stops as it traverses the NEC, it's a strange moniker. It seems that Amtrak attempted to get around the use of the word 'limited' by using the name "Regional". I think the name that worked best on that run was "Metroliner". No, 'express'; no 'limited'; no 'regional'. Just Metroliner. It's a 'liner' that travels through metro areas."
----------------------------------------
I agree that Metroliner was a fine name for the trains. According to Amtrak CEO David Gunn, the "Acela" name (which means 'armpit' in one language) might get dumped in favor of the Metroliner name. But think of all the money spent on all that Acela stuff... Wow. Whatever he chooses, I'm sure it'll work. If Gunn was in office two years ago, we would still have Metroliners, the Pointless Arrow logo, and no debt on Penn Station, among other things.

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought the word "Limited" (in years gone by, at least) meant that the train was "limited" to all-Pullman sleeper cars ("limited" to first class only)
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Canada, going back a very long time, Limited was indeed used for all first-class trains. The long departed Trans Canada Limited may have been one of the last to use that term. Of course in the U.S. trains such as the 20th Century Limited or the Broadway Limited were at one time all first class trains.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page