RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Laying Track

Author Topic: Laying Track
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought this was very interesting. Sure beats the old hammer and spikes;

Watch it here

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amazing machinery but I was surprised that there still is some work done by hand.

Frank in dark, damp and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know at my local museum all of their track work is done by hand. Except for tamping the ballast
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was fascinating to watch. It looks very efficient. But is that the way it is done in this country? I notice it was a European video.

--------------------
The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a Plasser Track Laying Machine (TLM). Amtrak has had one since the 1970s. It just finished replacing track 1 between Landover, MD and the south end of the Baltimore tunnels. There are several more in North America, run on a contract basis to do major track renewal for the Class Is.
Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I watched a bit more of the video, and it also shows people putting clips on the rails (note that insulators must be placed by hand), as well as a ballast undercutter. All these machines and techniques are widely used in the US. It's not like it used to be when I was a track laborer in the early 1970s. We did A LOT of stuff by hand, including lining track and spiking ties.
Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do we compare today to the 10 miles and 56 feet of track laid by hand in one day (12 hours minus an hour for lunch) by a single crew in 1869 on the first transcontinental railroad?
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
How do we compare today to the 10 miles and 56 feet of track laid by hand in one day (12 hours minus an hour for lunch) by a single crew in 1869 on the first transcontinental railroad?

Hard to compare as (a) most of it's automated compared with 4000 pairs of hands; (b) standards these days are stricter than back in 1869.

However, the Australian Alice Springs to Darwin project a few years ago stated that 2km of track were laid per day (1 1/4 miles) per team, good for 115km/h or 71mph. This may have been limited by getting materials to site fast enough though.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page