RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » vermont hotels

Author Topic: vermont hotels
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For future reference, does anyone have a hotel rec for White River Junction or Bellows Falls that would be convenient to train station and the sights & dining of the town? Thanks!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In White River Junction, the Coolidge Hotel is right downtown, a block from the station, and it's a historic landmark.

I saw a NY Times article about a nice B&B in Bellows Falls, right by the railroad tracks, but I can't remember what it's called. Do a Google search on B&Bs in Bellows Falls and you should find it. BF is not a very big place.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stlboomer
Member # 2028

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for stlboomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out the Official State of Vermont Tourism Site. In addition to discounted rail travel, they list many hotels and inns in the vicinity of Amtrak stations that offer packages that include transportation to/from the train.

http://www.vermontvacation.com/about%20vermont/vermont%20by%20rail.aspx

Posts: 103 | From: St. Louis, MO USA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you both so much for the info. And discounted rail travel, that sounds interesting too!

RResor, could the B&B be River Mist? I found that at the VT web site stlboomer directed me to.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner - we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Coolidge in White River Jct - just a short stroll to the station. But, it's not for everyone. We like the older maybe slightly seedy hotels. This one is a downtown landmark that have new owners trying valiantly to restore it. Rooms were huge and had a wonderful night's rest. Interesting spot for breakfast across the street. If you are the adventurous type, I would recommend it. So much more interesting than one of the chain hotels.

Also, don't forget the Green Mountin RR that operates an excursion train from the station.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thank you too for the links, Palmland. Now I know when to go too! Probably won't be till next year, though.

I don't mind an older hotel, as long as it has OK beds and A/C if I'm coming in summer! I do try to avoid beds that could bother my back.

B&B's can be a problem because of their cancellation policies. Some keep your money if you cancel within 30 days! I understand why--they are small--but it's still a problem for me.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page