RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » any tips on maple leaf?

Author Topic: any tips on maple leaf?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I've taken the Lakeshore LTd many times, I have never been on the train north of Buffalo De Pew and was wondering if anyone has any tips on which side is more scenic, if either. Does one see Niagara Falls from the train? or anything of the lakes? Or rivers or anything else exciting? Also, does one get a better view (I guess it would be on the right facing north) of that old train station when one heads into downtown Buffalo? Thanks for you input.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner -- Niagara Falls is NOT visible from the Maple Leaf, as the train crosses the Niagara River a mile or so north of the Falls and around a couple bends. The train travels along Hamilton Harbour in Lake Ontario for a while (right side going north), but other than that, no exceptionally scenic areas come to mind. The Niagara Escarpment is visible at several places on the left heading north, but is not overly dramatic anywhere.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoop
Member # 4607

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoop     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also suggest bringing your own breakfast, lunch, or dinner on board. The train has one pathetic little cafe/business car with one person serving the whole train. And it's a busy train! The line to get food is always long, and they run out of everything early on.
Posts: 54 | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the tips. I am sorry the trip isn't so scenic, but am still looking forward to it. We would have breakfast beforehand, as we would not be leaving from NYC; and hopefully will get in in time for dinner; but yes, we plan to bring lunch. Any tips on a not too expensive place to eat near the train station in Toronto? (We are staying near there) We like ethnic . . .
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I recall, there are a few fast food type places inside Toronto Union Station, but I don't remember which ones they are -- it's been a couple years since we were last there.

However, Union Station is directly connected to the underground "PATH" walking network through downtown Toronto, which connects many of the downtown hotels and office buildings, and there are several food places along the PATH network.

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was just on the Maple Leaf and in Toronto US this week. Sit on the right side leaving Depew. You'll have a couple of views of the Niagara River (on the left) between Buffalo and Niagara Falls, NY, then a long stop (about two hours) for customs, then you'll cross the Niagara River (best view into the gorge is on the right) and then you'll have some nice views of Lake Ontario, and a distant view of Toronto's skyline 40 miles away, as you pass through Grimsby. You'll see Hamilton Bay, as mentioned, and then a few more glimpses of the lake as you enter Toronto.

There is a sort of food court in the GO Transit concourse at Union Station, where various fast foots are available. There is also a "commuter bar" (I think that's its name) where you can sit. Don't know what sort of food they might serve. A better bet would be the Royal York Hotel across the street, which certainly has a nice restaurant. And of course downtown Toronto is chock full of everything from doner kebab to curries and Chinese.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks so much for the info. We'll try to sit on the right. Do you have a particular doner kebab recommentation, RResor? Or schwarma or something? I have been recommended an Indian within walking distance but a lot of the other ethnic places I'm finding seem a little far to walk if we are getting in late--how late was your train? I hope it is still light when we get nr Lake Ontario, may not be--though of course, we will take a boat ride while there!!! Thanks!!!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page