RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » any tips VIA Rail Toronto to Montreal?

Author Topic: any tips VIA Rail Toronto to Montreal?
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know they probably assign seats, but any tips on scenery to look for? Are there lounges or anything if we want to move, or do we have to stick to our seat on this train?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've made the trip a couple of times and don't recall that there was anything scenic. As I remember, the right-of-way is back from the lakefront so not much to see. I would recommend taking the trip at lunchtime and going first class. You will be served at your seat a 3 or 4 course meal including wine and post prandial refreshment. Quite an experience!

TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sit on the right going east for scenes of Lake
Ontario.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No lounge car to visit, F&B service provided at seat by attendant with a cart.
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From Toronto to Montreal, Lake Ontario will be on your right as you face forward. There are some nice views between Toronto and around Trenton, ON. Beyond there, you're too far away from the lake to see it.

The VIA LRC equipment is nice, with huge windows. It will remind you of the Acela Express (no surprise, Bombardier used the same body shell configuration). The at-seat service is fine, and on the trip I made last year, a sandwich and dessert were complimentary (I think I recall having to pay for a beer). It's a fast trip, but not particularly scenic. But do enjoy Montreal and Toronto, two of my favorite cities.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On weekdays there are six trains from Toronto to Montreal. The 06:50 and 17:00 trains are Renaissance equipment, the 09:30 and 15:15 trains are LRCs and the 11:35 and 18:35 trains use HEP2 cars (ancient but rebuilt ex-US stainless steel cars.) Unless there are any changes recently, seat reservations in economy (coach) class are offered only on the Renaissance trains and the 15:15 LRC. In Business Class (still known as VIA 1 unofficially) all seats are assigned.

The Renaissance trains offer some advantages over the other equipment - in addition to being VIA's smoothest riding trains. Seating in both classes is identical: the European-style first class "2+1" so even in coach you can have a single seat. The only difference is the colour-scheme. The single seats are on the right-hand side. Despite what a lot of Canadian railfans might tell you, these seats are wider and offer more leg-room than on conventional cars. I have measured them and the "pitch" is 40 inches. Also, the aisle is five inches wider than on the old cars, so it is possible to get by the serving trolleys. If travelling Business Class, there is a lounge available. On the evening semi-express trains (17:00) an after-dinner liqueur is available in the lounge as an alternative to - or in addition to - the at-your-seat service. I admit the Renaissance equipment isn't perfect (what is?) but I like it a lot. That puts me at odds with most railfans, but I consider myself more of a train rider than a trainspotter.

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Too bad--I will be taking the 6:50 Renaissance with my husband, so if seats are assigned, I guess that means we have to sit on the left, regardless of views?
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for David     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Too bad--I will be taking the 6:50 Renaissance with my husband, so if seats are assigned, I guess that means we have to sit on the left, regardless of views?

Not necessarily. There are two "two-seaters" on the right-hand side, that is two single seats facing each other. There is a solid table with a little lamp in between - whether in Economy or Business Class. I recommend the one that is not over the wheels, i.e. seats 3SR and 4S. A diagram can be found here. Click on: Renaissance car - diagram. You will need to book on the telephone or in person to request specific seats, although I have often been lucky and been given my preferred seats by Reservia, the on-line booking system.

http://www.viarail.ca/en/trains/ontario-and-quebec/toronto-montreal/train-cars

Posts: 216 | From: Mississauga, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Too late--I already booked. Oh, well, if it isn't busy, maybe I can move to another seat.
But regardless, I am really excited to be going to Toronto after all these years!

David
Member # 3

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by sojourner:
Too late--I already booked. Oh, well, if it isn't busy, maybe I can move to another seat.
But regardless, I am really excited to be going to Toronto after all these years!

It's not too late to change a seat assignment. Even if a "no changes or cancellation" fare has been booked, a change of seat (or sleeper for that matter)is not considered a change as long as it is for the same train. I've done it many times, especially with an on-line booking. A phone call will do it.
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner,

I'm putting the pieces together, and I'm coming up with a trip for you and your #1 to Toronto on the Maple Leaf and then on to Montreal, and perhaps the Adirondack back south? Another trip report so that the rest of us housebound souls can get a vicarious thrill?

Also, keep an eye out for the border patrol!

TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Thanks, David, I will see if I can do it. And yes, Mr Black, that is what we're planning--up on the Maple Leaf (business class), over to Montreal on VIA Rail, and back on the Adirondack when hopefully the Dome Car may be on. I have not been to Toronto in some time and my husband never, so that should be fun; and we both love Montreal. I am not too worried about the border patrol, but we will have to stock up on food in Montreal for the return trip, just in case (hahaha). I will of course report on my return . . .

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page