RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » changing for the LSL

Author Topic: changing for the LSL
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can anyone tell me what it is like to change from the Maple Leaf for the LSL westbound at Buffalo DePew? The layover seems very long. Can one leave luggage and go do something? Is there anything nearby to do? Is the area relatively safe? What is the station like? Thanks so much!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner,

The station is located well outside of Buffalo.
It is a short walk to a local bus stop that will take you downtown. (Did it several years ago to get to hotel as it was way cheaper than a taxi).

Took a Gray Line tour of Niagra Falls. (Treat for a young granddaughter).

Since we only spent the one day there I can not recommend any activities or what to see.

Station was clean --- think bus station - Similar to Springfield, MA just a tad bigger.
At that time there was no coffee shop - vending machines only.

Area around station appears relatively safe - partly because there is nothing around it.

Not sure how long a lay over you will have -- but suggest bring sandwich/ snacks and a good book.

Dee

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the input. I think my friend should forget this idea; seems very difficult!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Once in my younger days, 1995 or so, I spent the night sleeping in a rental car parked at the Buffalo DePew station. The only disturbance was the nocturnal arrival of the Lake Shore Limited.

There is nothing nearby.

The backstory here is that I had been in town working with one of the competitive Drum and Bugle Corps for the DCI Championships. I had lodging for the duration of the competition BUT with the final show ending at about midnight Saturday night and the corps I worked with departing on their buses for Iowa at 1:00am, I was charged with returning the rental car to the airport before catching a 9:00am flight back to North Carolina.

Being young and cheap still at that time, I saw no point whatsoever in taking a hotel room for less than five hours sleep.......

I picked the DePew Amtrak station lot for my rental car nap simply because I knew that I was unlikely to fall prey to foul play in such a middle of nowhere kind of place.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what you could do, but if you look up Geno Daily and his Amtrak reports, you can send him an email, and see what he says you should do. There is always Buffalo Central Terminal
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are into architecture, you could tour the Darwin Martin House, built by Frank Lloyd Wright for one of his early clients. It has now been mostly restored to its original appearance, and was one of Wright's proudest achievements. You'll need to take a taxi to it, given the Depew station is out in the 'burbs and the Martin House is in a residential area.
If you decide to go, you'll have to make reservations for a tour.
On the way back to the station, perhaps stop at the Anchor Bar for a take out "Beef on Weck" sandwich and maybe some Buffalo Wings. There are better wings served elsewhere in Buffalo, but the Anchor Bar is where they were invented.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Actually, this wasn't info I was asking about our upcoming trip to Toronto and Montreal (we are not taking the LSL); I was asking this particular question for a friend who will be taking the LSL to Chicago to get home--not for me. She had been planning to get to NYC, take the Adirondack to Montreal, the VIA Rail to Toronto, and go home by train from there via Buffalo DePew/LSL. With the info you guys gave me, which I told her, and also my info about the Dome Car on the Adirondack, she has instead decided to take the Adirondack back south to make the connection in Schenectady. I did suggest that she make the triangle using the Maple Leaf up and the Adirondack back (to Schenectady) but I think she decided to leave Toronto for another time (like when she takes the Canadian some day!) and not spend the money on Toronto and VIA Rail this time.

But I myself would very much like to go to Buffalo some time and visit the Frank Lloyd Wright house--in fact, some one told me there is more than one FLW house there--do you know? It is not that I love Frank Lloyd Wright--I prefer older architecture and don't like the man too well--but I've seen many of his other works and so am interested (if it's not too expensive). What is the other Buffalo station like (not the DePew one)? Is it safe to arrive there? What about at night?

I think there are other sites to see in Buffalo too, inc a very good art museum. I have been wanting for a long time to visit Niagara on the Lake too. And while I have been to Niagara Falls on the Canadian side I have never been on the American. But it does sound like these places might be better to visit with a car, which I won't have, so we'll see. . . .

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Additional question: Suppose someone wants to go from Toronto to the westbound LSL (#49) and does not want the long changeover into the middle of the night in Buffalo De Pew. Would you recommend changing in Rochester or Syracuse? Recommendation should depend on which of these stations is more comfy to wait in and which has something to see or do nearby, at least foodwise, perhaps townwise; for example, how far is the train station from sights to see in downtown Rochester (I cannot tell very well, even though I've gone through many times)? Syracuse (which I've seen from the train) looks to me to be a nicer station, but location seems very suburban--is there anything to do near it? Which would be better for having dinner? Etc. . . Also, would either station have a left luggage service (so one can go off exploring)? THANKS!
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I cannot vouch for local sights as I was primarily visiting with an old friend whom I've not seen in 27 years, I was in Rochester over the Labor Day Weekend and can tell you that the Amtrak station is right downtown.

No question that it presents more potential for a layover than does Buffalo DePew.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Definitely sounds promising, David. I may stop in Rochester myself some time on my way out west!
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We did a 'drive by' of Rochester on a trip to Niagara Falls and West Virginia. Friends who know of my interest in all things RR, live in the area and recommended this place for good Bar-B-Que. On a Sunday afternoon the place was packed and who would have thought you could get good BBQ in Rochester.

From talking with them, Rochester has a very active downtown and cultural scene, thanks to money from Kodak and Xerox that have HQ there. Based on our brief look, it does seem like a good stop.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amtrak207
Member # 1307

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amtrak207     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um, folks, there's a difference between how the Buffalo suburban station (next to a landfill) is spelled and the cartoon character skunk. It's just Depew, no need to capitalize the P unless the wind is out of the south and they're moving garbage around, or if CsX brings some garbage trains through.

The station, though expanded in the mid-nineties, is pretty small. If you wanted to lay over creatively, take the LSL to Depew and take an NFTA bus downtown, see some sights, then board the Leaf at Exchange Street. They're in the process of redeveloping the former canal terminus, and don't forget the sport teams available within walking distance of the Exchange Street Underpass. I'm not kidding, the columns from The Skyway lie in the middle of the platform. You've got baseball across the street and down a block, and the Sabres a few stops down on the The Metrorail. The Naval and Servicemens museum is also nearby. Just don't miss your train. Don't believe any Droolie reports on status until you get one saying when the eastbound train departed NFL, otherwise it's bound to be inaccurate due to customs and immigration time.
ESPA publishes sheets on potential day trips and activities to and around upstate stations.

Posts: 391 | From: Schenectady | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page