RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » US Plans Law Enforcement Surge on Trains

Author Topic: US Plans Law Enforcement Surge on Trains
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the link:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/europe-terror-plot-us-plans-law-enforcement-surge/story?id=11797735

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dakguy201
Member # 10360

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dakguy201     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd label this "security theater" except it does have the advantage of teaching more local law enforcement personnel the location and layout of the train station, and that could be useful in the event of a real problem.
Posts: 41 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Security Theater" is a good term, I like it. A constant reminder to be careful, and aware of your surroundings is one thing. A "Theat Alert" for the entire are of Europe is next to useless, and can only be descibed as Dakguy201 has done. In fact, we are terrorized.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Security Theatre" is right. It started well before 9/11. Some 12 years ago I spent a few months working in Singapore. During this period every US citizen got a letter from the US embassy asking, among other things that we be cautious and: avoid crowds, vary our travel habits, etc., etc. Avoid crowds in a crowded Asian city when usuing public transit is part of your daily routine?? What world are the people living in that dream up this stuff? It was also hilarious that the ethnically Chinese US citizens also got this letter.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page