RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » California Zephyr Scenic Photos

Author Topic: California Zephyr Scenic Photos
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken photos, mostly from the train, on several trips along the California Zephyr route since 1987. A selection of the better ones may be viewed on the Flickr site. The URLs are shown below if any of you would like to look them over.

For those unfamiliar with the site, the procedure is to click on the first photo in the array of small ones. A larger one will appear with a description below. Be sure you see where the description is located. Then proceed by clicking on "next", and so on.

Let me know if you spot any errors in the descriptions and I'll correct them. Hope you enjoy them.

Zephyr photos, Denver to Glenwood Springs, CO

http://tinyurl.com/2uzdmn5

Zephyr photos, Glenwood Springs to the Sierra Nevada Mts., CA

http://tinyurl.com/23eannq

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bob,
This is a great collection of photos. From 1992 to present, I think? Which means the earlier ones weren't digital and had to be scanned somehow? I'd love to know which method you used to be able to share them with us. That's an aside...I'm eager for more. Many of us here have taken that route many times and can relive them through your photographic efforts, but you're not done. Gotta get us from Donner Lake to East Bay!

Thanks for your contribution,

TB

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice photos. What is your secret for eliminating reflections on the train windows ?
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Russ, there are a couple of ways to eliminate reflections when shooting through train windows.

One is to use a circular polarizing filter on the lens, but this sometimes does not work all that well. The angle of the sun to the subject is important.

A quick and dirty but often very effective method is to hold the camera up to the window as close as possible, with the lens almost touching the glass, and to cup the lens with your free hand. If you have a rubber lens hood on your camera, this often helps.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob from MA
Member # 4686

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bob from MA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The earlier photos, back to 1987 actually, were colored slides. I have a slide scanner (Nikon Coolscan V) with which I transfer the slides, one at a time, to my computer. As to eliminating reflections, I try, as Henry said, to hold the camera as close to the window as possible. Some of the pictures are taken from the back of the train. That window is not tinted, like the others, but is usually dirty. My son, a professional photographer, can eliminated reflections and any unwanted spots using Photoshop, but I am not that skilled. I have pictures that I didn't use because of bad reflections. I have "enhanced" some of the photos using photoshop.

Eventually I will post my photos from the Southwest Chief route.

Posts: 127 | From: Worcester, Massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have rarely had good luck with circular polarizers to eliminate reflections, no matter what side of the train I am on and no matter what the sun angle is -- it is definitely easier to eliminate reflections if you film around mid-day, but of course then you'll miss some of the spectacular early morning or late evening light that makes good RR photos. As far as holding the camera close to the window, that sometimes works, but if the window is dirty (as they often are), what you see is dirt particles and not scenery.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RRRICH, do what everyone else does... open the lower door window and take your pictures.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike -- don't you mean the upper door window (in the vestibules between cars)? I believe that is illegal............
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Mike is referring to the window in the door downstairs in the Superliner cars.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Amtrak needs an open-air car, similar to the one on the Rocky Mountaineer, for picture taking. It would be great for some of the more scenic trains, such as the Zephyr and Empire Builder. There, however, would probably be insurance issues that would keep Amtrak from considering such a thing.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right, Notelvis.
And it helps if your car attendant is absent, a lot!

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page