RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Great Dome

Author Topic: Great Dome
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend who monitors Trainorders says there was a post there suggesting that the Big Dome was headed back to the West Coast to, perhaps, run on the single level Surfliners again. Anybody able to confirm that? It would be a fun trip from here (SBA) and then return later on the Starlight.

Frank in sunny and clear SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just sent a message to a friend who is a Surfliner conductor. I'll let ya know what I hear back.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Smitty. It's too bad the layover time in SLO isn't long enough to make the return on the same train. The old schedule gave you time enough to make it to the Big Sky Cafe

http://www.bigskycafe.com/

for lunch.

Frank in sunny and clear SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The layover in SLO is enough to get lunch at the Del Monte Cafe. I call at Gaudapule and it is ready when I walk over there. just tell them you are arriving by train.

the Dome is heading back to LA after it stint on the Cardinal. look for it maybe over Thanksgiving weekend.

chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am told it will be on 798/799 for the Thanksgiving weekend.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Smitty and Chris--

Thanks for the info. I've tried to find the menu for the Del Monte without any luck.

Frank in dark and cool SBA

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This morning I spotted what appeared to be a Great Dome in Amtrak's Chicago yards as the westbound Capitol Limited came in. A Superliner obscured the view, but the dome seemed to extend all the way to the end of the car. Didn't see the markings. Could it have been a private full-length dome car?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a video of the cap done some years ago that was done from the dome car. I have a copy packed away so can't remember the title. the quality is fair but "seeable". the train is going from DC to Chii
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Great Dome is with me on Train 3 at Albuquerque right at this moment. I got on in La Plata last night and the Great Dome was tucked in right behind the engines in front of the baggage cars.

Chris in ABQ right on time.

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the Great Dome is now on 3, what was it that I saw in the yards? A private car?
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
At least it's headed this way!

Frank in dark and cool SBA

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
The Great Dome along with me arrived into LAUPT at 7:17 AM this morning. I made Surfliner 564 home.

Chris

jp1822
Member # 2596

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for jp1822     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quick turn around it seems on taking off the "fall leaf wrap" that the Great Dome sported! Hopefully we will see it again some time next year on BOTH the Adirondack and Cardinal - but starting out earlier on both trains to really take advantage of the "leaf peeping!" Also, the Cardinal was to have two trips on #50, but only had one due to the derailment that occurred in Washington DC.
Posts: 337 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page