RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Frightening

Author Topic: Frightening
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm glad I wasn't on this train:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23898936-two-mile-terror-on-runaway-train-as-leaves-on-line-send-it-out-of-control-at-65mph.do

Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good grief!!! I knew that leaves made the rails slippery, but not THAT slippery. Holy smokes.....

(PS: Are locomotive engineers in the UK called "train drivers"? I see in the article that that is the term being used.)

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right Smitty, I believe that is the correct term for the folks who operate the locomotives in the UK.

I've heard these "leaves on rails" stories before. For some odd reason, seems to happen more over there (UK) than here (USA.) Not to say we don't get the occasional "sliding train" scenario - does anyone here recall the Metra (Chicago) train about 12-15 years ago that "got loose" while coming into CUS? Apparently crews had been "greasing frogs" earlier that day and some excess grease got up onto the rolling surfaces; the Metra train went into the bumperposts at a low speed. There were injuries. Maybe Gil remembers this incident? The bumperposts at CUS are huge hydraulic units now, partly as a result of that Metra accident. Like the old Paul Simon song: "Slip Slidin' Away!"

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I took the overnight train from London to Edinburgh about 25 years ago. During the night the train fell behind time because, the conductor said, the locomotive lost traction on a grade owing to wet leaves on the rails. I don't recall what the solution was -- maybe BritRail sent a Henry from somewhere to help Gordon finish the job.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RussM
Member # 3627

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RussM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in the New York and Connecticut area, the Metro North Commuter Railroad uses a rail washer called "Waterworld" to deal with the problem of Iron Pectate, the black slime that forms on rails from fallen leaves. They have found that slipping causes flat spots on wheels, which is an expensive maintenance problem. I would assume that Amtrak depends on their host railroads to take care of the problem.
Posts: 133 | From: Canaan, CT | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephen W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In England we have Train Drivers (used to be called Engine drivers who, in days of steam, had a fireman with them in the cab to shovel in the coal), a Guard who signals the train's departure and often a Ticket Collector to check that all have a valid ticket. At least I think that's what we have as it's a while since I have been on a train here. Other more frequent travellers will doubtless put me right if I have erred.

Not only do we get the "wrong" type of leaves, we get "wrong" rain and snow too.

Posts: 211 | From: Norfolk England | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stephen W:
Not only do we get the "wrong" type of leaves, we get "wrong" rain and snow too.

Maybe it is because you run everything - trains adn roads - "wrong" handed
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info on "train drivers"---very interesting!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephen W
Member # 6059

Member Rated:
George - don't they say two wrongs make a right?
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
George - don't they say two wrongs make a right?

Something like that in math, at least in multiplication and division. Sorry, I worked with several Englishmen for too long to pass up the oportunity.
Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard it described as Teflon rails - one particular brand of non-stick coating for frying pans, for example. Five tons per square inch of pressure from the wheels turn leaf mulch into this super slippery coating.

The problem has been exacerbated in the last decade or two as the tread brakes used to clean the wheels whenever they braked, with only the rails unaffected; nowadays dynamic and other brake types don't have the contact with the wheel tread and so the wheels are similarly Teflon-coated.

We do have various types of trains that clean the mulch, but there are only so many such trains and a lot of tree-covered trackage to cover. I've been in an MPV (multi purpose vehicle) which can act as a deicer in winter, leaf cleaner in autumn, weedkiller in spring, or whatever is needed, modules loaded via forklift trucks onto the two-car diesel.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
In England we have Train Drivers (used to be called Engine drivers who, in days of steam, had a fireman with them in the cab to shovel in the coal), a Guard who signals the train's departure and often a Ticket Collector to check that all have a valid ticket. At least I think that's what we have as it's a while since I have been on a train here. Other more frequent travellers will doubtless put me right if I have erred.

Indeed they are drivers but the role of guard and ticket collector have largely merged into one. On the main Inter-City trains into London (at least in my region) they have a "train manager" who is in overall charge, as well as a 2nd guard/conductor and between one and four catering staff.

On the smaller suburban/rural routes there will be just one "conductor" but unfortunately, they are now known on some cross-country routes as "Customer Service Hosts"...

...yuk!

Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I note that the East Coast Mainline has introduced a speed-restriction, because of the danger of ice during this snowy and very cold spell, leading to "scheduled" delays of 45 minutes between London Newcastle. No explanation of the problems caused by ice was given, or why the measures were taken,whether to increase braking distances/times or what.
Our local Metro system, above ground except for Newcastle/Gateshead city centres, has run very efficiently during the last week's snow/ice.
As I write this at 9.00 a.m. the car park serving our local Metro station, normally overflowing at this time is 3/4s empty. Many of the side and estate roads are still treacherous, while the main roads are gritted and ploughed.

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page