RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Portland to Portland et al

Author Topic: Portland to Portland et al
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some time back, one of the "regulars" here, I'm afraid I've forgotten who, made a cross-country trip from Portland Maine to Portland Oregon simply because the idea of it piqued his fancy. I tried doing a search but the search feature doesn't work for me, so I could not check who this way. But anyway, I thought it was a cool idea and I was thinking of these potential cross-country or nearly-cross-country trips:

Portland Maine to Portland Oregon

Albany New York to Albany Oregon

Richmond Virginia to Richmond California

Hollywood Florida to Hollywood California (LAX train stop)

Washington DC and anywhere in the state of Washington

Astoria Queens (New York City is closest stop, but Astoria is also very close to Sunnyside Yards, where the train might originate) to Astoria Oregon (Amtrak Thruway bus from Portland)

And here are some where one end requires taking a bus or another kind of transportation to the Amtrak stop:

Salem Massachusetts (MBTA, bus, or ferry to Boston South) to Salem Oregon

Newport Rhode Island (bus or seasonal boat to Providence RI) to Newport OR

Newark New Jersey OR Delaware to Newark California (closest stop would be Fremont CA I believe)

Lodi New Jersey (stop would be Newark NJ or NYP) to Lodi California

Greenville South Carolina to Greenville California (closest train stop would be Chico CA)

Here is one that is only as far as the Rockies but still pretty far out west and a pretty long trip!:

Winter Park FL to Winter Park CO (not quite cross-country but a long enough trip that I thought it might count)

OK, that's all I thought of for now, but I know there are zillions more!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While not cross country, this one is international, albeit on a single train and only a few hours apart: Vancouver, BC to Vancouver, WA!

About 13-14 years ago one could have travelled between two Las Vegases, the famous one and the NM (?) one. Again, not XC though.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GBN -- I'm guessing Galesburg -- I know ANMTRAK also passes through the one in Michigan, and I think I recall seeing another one on one of my railroad maps.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Evanston, Illinois, to Evanston, Wyoming?

Let's see -- Metra to Ogilvie Center, a short walk to Union Station, thence No. 5 to Salt Lake City, and presumably a bus northeast to Evanston, Wyo.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner, interesting idea. How about one of my favorite towns, Ashland, VA to Ashland, OR.

I also looked in the Amtrak timetable for 'Summit' and was surprised to find only one listed, Summit, IL. This was surprising because in the 'old days' this was one of the most frequently listed towns in the Official Railway Guide. In 1954 there were 67 listed. I guess so popular because the name presumably came from the summit of a railroad grade. Today, the only one I can think of is Summit, IL to Summit, NJ via NJT. Today's trivia.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just came across a few more

Mount Vernon VA (Washington DC) or NY (closest to NYP or New Rochelle?) and Mount Vernon WA
Kingston RI or NY (Amtrak stop is Rhinecliff) and Kingston WA

And another near possibility--not quite coast to coast--Toledo OH to Toledo OR

Oregon seems to have a whole lot of cities sharing names with more easterly cities. And I believe in many case they are actually named for those cities.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope I am not creeping off topic, but on my Zephyr trip to Glenwood Springs, CO last August, I learned the Colorado resort town is named after Glenwood, Iowa. The Zephyr passes through Glenwood IA between Creston and Omaha, but does not stop.

And if just passing through is allowed, one could go from Winona MN to Flagstaff, and pass through Winona AZ (just before Flagstaff) which is mentioned in the famous song "Route 66".

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mt Vernon, Va is Washhington's home and to my knowledge there is no train there but you could go from Richmond,Va to Richmond,Ca.almost coast to coAST
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an international one that may require a bus at one end:
Ottawa, Ontario to Ottawa, Kansas.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
San Francisco, Louisiana to San Francisco, California?
Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could go from Worcester, MA to Chicago to Kansas City to Little Rock, AR to Meridian, MS to Denver to Portland to Los Angeles and, in each case, you would be going to a Union Station.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
graynt
Member # 17

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for graynt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several years ago I actually did that Portland to Portland trip. To get to Portland, Me. I took a Regional from New York to Boston and then a Downeaster to Portland. I spent the night,and then back to BON..with a quick subway ride to BOS..The Lake Shore to Chicago,and of course the Empire Builder to Portland,Or...and back in those days I rode coach the entire trip..but I did get a roomette from Minneapolis to Portland on this particular journey.
Posts: 176 | From: Bloomsburg Pa | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
royaltrain
Member # 622

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for royaltrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm surprised no one mentioned Niagara Falls NY to Niagara Falls Ont. about two miles apart on the run of the New York--Toronto Maple Leaf.
Posts: 524 | From: Toronto Ont. Canada | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the "same named city" category, one possible today and one not:

GBB to GBA (Galesburg, IL)

Galesburg (IL) Burlington Sta to Galesburg (IL)
ATSF Sta. (Building gone, tracks still there)
Can be done thru town via a rickety 10 MPH
ancient spur, or easily done via the Cameron
flyover west of town.

POS to POA (Pomona, CA)

Old SP station (now UP) to what used to be the
Amtrak ATSF sta (now proposed light rail?) In
earlier times, could have been done through San
Bernardino or through connecting tracks to the
west closer to the LA yards.

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
these wouldn't work because the original supposition was coast to coast
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by train lady:
these wouldn't work because the original supposition was coast to coast

How 'bout Paris Texas to Paris France? Oops, that wouldn't work either-- there's a "water" problem! [Smile] [Wink] ---> Happy New Year, everyone! [Cool]

From Bob in bright 'n sunny So. Calif, where the rains have thankfully stopped and SBA Frank is probably having a burger in Carpinteria, CA at this very moment! Frank?

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page