RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » NEC Questions

Author Topic: NEC Questions
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am getting ready to buy my NEC trips for April, 25% off now. A few questions:

Looks like I will get an assigned seat (taking regular coach) like on the San Joaquin here in CA. Seats are assigned when we check in at the station?

Trips will be on a Friday BOS to NYP, thinking of the 9:35 am train; Monday NYP to PHL, thinking of a 10:20 train; Thursday PHL to WAS, thinking of 10:57 train.
Any advice or warnings about these choices? Should we check in early to quarantee seats?

I see there is food available; I presume it is snack bar type stuff?

Baggage can be placed at the end of the car?

Thanks for your help. This is all new territory for us.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like I will get an assigned seat (taking regular coach) like on the San Joaquin here in CA. Seats are assigned when we check in at the station? just be at the front of the line

Should we check in early to quarantee seats?
There are no assigned seats. First one gets there choice

I see there is food available; I presume it is snack bar type stuff? Cafe but with slightly higher prices than out west.

Baggage can be placed at the end of the car?
Ends of the car or above your seat

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris is right ..no reserved seats but the way to ensure a seat of your choice is to get a red cap to take you to the train. He will take your luggage and you before the general boarding and it's worth the several bucks spent. If it is a long walk to the train he will take you in the electric cart.
We try to avoid arriving anywhere at rush hour. It is such a mad house. so to us the arrival time is more important than departure.
Food can be an iffy proposition. We always take sandwiches and whatever else we want in our totes or carry on. Somehow they always seem to manage to run out early. You can buy drinks on board.If you have checked your bags and just have the carryon it is easier to put those above your seat . Hope tis helps

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeeCT
Member # 3241

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeeCT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No assigned seats.
Cafe Car food - never have had a problem with them running out.
If you are taking the Downeaster up to Portland, ME it does have a different menu. (very good chowder last I rode it).

Posts: 460 | From: North Central CT | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train lady - I thought there was no checked baggage?

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki, some staions have checked baggage and others don't. Washington does. Don't know about the others. You can find this info on the time table or by calling Amtrak.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Vicki, meant to tell you even with stations that have checked baggage we get a red cap for the carryons just for the service. In DC they help you get your baggage checked,then take you to the lounge where they pick you up before regular boarding time. Ditto Chicago. In Savannah our red cap not only got our checked baggage for us but got a cab as well.
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train lady is right, some trains do have checked baggage, but not all. If a local NEC train, it likely will not have a baggage car, so check with the baggage office when it would be available at destination.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As Train Lady says, check the AMTRAK timetables for what stations and what trains have checked baggage. In the NEC, several stations have baggage checking staff and facilities; however, not all the trains have bagagge cars.
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As others mentioned, specific seats are not assigned on NEC (or ACELA) trains.

I never check luggage on NEC trains; I put a big suitcase at end of the car and small stuff on overhead shelf or at my feet.

Whether or not I use a Red Cap depends on time of day, where I am boarding, where I am going, and whether I have a special place I want to sit. I often use a Red Cap in Boston because they hold luggage when I go for a walk & come back. Also, I want to make sure to be on the left side facing forward when going to NYP from BOS, and REd Caps get me on early and get me the seat I want. The nice views of the Sound wil be on that side; but once you come to the Bronx (before you cross the Hellgate Bridge), do go into the lounge car or change seats so that you are on the right side facing forward for the cool views of the NY skyline.

Leaving from NYP, I often use a Red Cap because they get me on the train early. By 10:20 maybe you don't need one; I don't know, I always go earlier. If you do use one, ask to sit on the left side facing forward; there isn't much to see between NYP and Philly but there is a view of the NY skyline after you come out of the tunnel (if you look back) and the views of the Philly skyline and boathouses and museum right before you come to Philly. OTOH, right after Trenton, check out the right side to see the famous "Trenton Makes the World Takes" sign on the bridge as you cross the river into PA.

In Philly I have never used a Red Cap; nor do I ever use one on arriving. But I do not have as much luggage as you will!

I never eat the snack bar food on any of these trains--these cities have much better food than the trains do, and the trips are never long enough to require eating. However, I do buy coffee at the snack bar sometimes--I think the coffee is rather good.

Personally, I'd leave Boston earlier for NYP, on the 8:15 train. Then you will get in to NYP at a more convenient time for lunch. However, even if I took the 9:35 out of Boston, I wouldn't eat on the train. Instead, I'd try to have breakfast in Boston beforehand and/or bring some snacks to tide me over; for instance, perhaps the day before, I'd pick up some of those good cookies from Kilbert & Forbes at Quincy Market to take on the train (and then buy coffee) and maybe I'd also buy a banana or some other fruit to bring. Then, when I got into NYP, I'd have a late lunch in a good inexpensive ethnic restaurant.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page