RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak Route Guides

Author Topic: Amtrak Route Guides
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very glad the forum is back up and running.

I was reading, in the January issue of TRAINS, an article, by Brian Lusk, entitled "Amtrak Route Guides-A Surefire Cure for "Are We There Yet".

The article mentioned that Amtrak is now in the process of rewriting all Amtrak Route Guides, not only for sleeper cars but also for coach and lounge cars. Here is a reference, from the Amtrak web site, for the current route guides:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Content_C&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241245662657

I will be interested in seeing what the new Amtak route guides look like. Although interesting, I would like a more detailed reference to various routes, with lots of pictures and history of places and landmarks you travel through on the train.

I still have a 1996 book called "Rail Ventures" which does a nice job in covering various Amtak routes in North America.

I just puchased another book entitled "USA by Rail, 7th Edition":

http://www.usa-by-rail.com/

Can anyone suggest other publications that might be interesting?

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also wondering the same questions. I also have the 1996 Rail Ventures book. It features excellent route guides. I always copy the pages from the route I am taking and bring them with me. I would like to see a more up-to-date book such as this. Amtrak's versions are always quite simple.
Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I printed out the "Route Guide" for the Coast Starlight. It's OK but certainly could have used a good editor and/or proofreader.

As an example:

"SANTA BARBARA was discovered in 1602 and is home to three
of the 21 missions established in the state between 1769 and 1823."

I've lived in Santa Barbara since 1959 and have only seen one of those three Missions. The one down the hill from us. In fairness, perhaps they are counting the other two in Santa Barbara County.

And as for Santa Barbara being "discovered" in 1602 I think the Chumash would disagree with the name.

I also found it curious that the author felt it very important to mention no less than three "attacks" on U.S. soil by the Japanese during WWII.

I guess it's better than nothing but they really could have done better.

Frank in cool, clear SBA -- with only one "Queen of the Missions".

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seems to me that the Route Guides get further "dumbed down" -- er, simplified -- with each new iteration. I don't understand why passengers are forced to speed-read over long-distance routes.

What I'd like to see Amtrak do is publish small but detailed paperbacks about each route, with illustrations of important sights as photographed from the train, to be sold in the lounge car. Can you imagine how colorful a book could be made about the California Zephyr, for instance?

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course there are my railroad route guides on my web site, railroadrich.com -- you'll find them more detailed than the AMTRAK guides, with links to topographic maps of each route. And yes, I include historical stuff whenever it is available, moreso than Rail Ventures or the AMTRAK guides, which concentrate primarily on places where the trains make scheduled stops -- my guides cover ALL communities which the trains pass through!

www.railroadrich,com

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mgt
Member # 5479

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mgt     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pitt's "USA by Rail" would appear to be an updated version of Scheller's "Train Trips- Exploring America by Rail",1981. It is useful, as far as it goes and is commented on favourably by US travellers whenever I use it. Even though I bought my present copy at Borders, Penn Station, Manhattan, it does not seem to be widely known in the US.
The detail in RRRICH's route guides is much more satisfying and helpful, but unfortunately they do not yet cover the whole system.
A combination of Pitt, the Amtrak website and Amtraks's System Timetable and America
publications will give the unitiated rail traveller some idea of what to expect both at the stations and on the trains.
I noticed a link earlier on to an article for a New Zealand publication by Christian Wolmar in which he gives a very fair summary of travel on Amtrak today.

Posts: 168 | From: uk. northumberland | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all of the interesting comments!

Konstantin-Yes, the 1996 Rail Ventures book is very good. I hope that a newer version will be coming out.

Henry-A paperback route guide book would be nice if they could sell it on board or a station gift shop. Or, a little booklet, with several pages full of pictures and history, along your specific route would be good to have in your coach or sleeping car.

Mgt - I'll have to report back on the 7th edition of "USA by Rail".

Rich- Nice web site! I did enjoy the route guides you have posted. Will be waiting for the ones on Seattle to East Glacier and Portland to Spokane.

Frank-Yes, I was only aware of one mission in Santa Barbara. I have never been there, but I think it's my favorite based on pictures I've seen. When we studied Calif. Missions, in the 5th grade, my teacher once brought in some pen knives and bars of Ivory soap. We picked our favorite mission and carved it out in the bar of soap. I can imagine what would happen if they tried that, today (all those poor children cutting themselves with those awful knives!, etc).
A friend of mine travelled to all 21 of the California missions. His favorite was a lesser known one, San Antonia de Padua, north of Paso Robles. Not so much for the mission, itself, but for the landscaping around it.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL--I remember doing the Ivory soap carvings, too. It was in 4th grade. The last time I looked into a 4th grade class they were doing the models out of sugar cubes.

I've lived with the sound of the bells of Mission Santa Barbara for the last twenty five years -- 6AM, Noon, and 6PM. And the odd wedding or funeral.

One interesting fact about "The Queen of the Missions" is that it is the only one that was never secularized. It has been the church for Saint Barbara's Parish since it's founding.

Now off to download Rich's Route Guide for the Starlight.

Frank in clear, sunny and low 70's SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Oops, spoke too soon. They are not available yet.

BTW, Rich, you need to check that link you posted. You have a comma where you should have a dot.

Frank in .... well, you know.

RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks everybody. Sorry about my link, Frank -- try:

www.railroadrich.com

No I have not published the entire system yet --I do these as time and resources allow. Not sure which one I'll be doing next -- maybe a NEC guide; however, I did the Starlight and SEA-GPK ones a few years ago, but have not put them on the web site yet. Maybe I'll look at the SEA-GPK one, revamp it, update it, and put that one on the web later this year (I believe GPK-MSP is already on the web site).

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page