RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » my Travels

Author Topic: my Travels
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well since my last visit here, I have made several Amtrak trips. I'm going to start with The Blue Ridge Special

I went to Spencer NC again with my Grandmother to take her on a trip to Asheville NC. The night before my train was due to depart I drove to the museum to see what the train looked like. The next morning we got up super early so we could get our choice of the seats. I stood in the line to get the tickets. We were in car 24 the Hagerstown Inn. I walked alongside the train underneath the event lights, and railcar lights. I then walked and boarded my car, from the ground probably at the wrong vestibule, as there wasn't a step box, but I work at the SC RR Museum, so I'm used to it.
I got the two of us nice seats in the middle of the car. I then relaxed took my coat off, and put it over the seat. I was on the left side of the train leaving. We backed onto the Norfolk Southern Mainline. Once the switch was thrown we started going forward with Three P42DC locomotives leading. The sun was just starting to rise. We past by several small buildings, and went by a weird railroad crossing before leaving Salisbury. Once we left that area I took a walk of the train. Ex L&N Royal Street was the last car #25, Hagerstown Inn (my car), EX NP Observatory, EX SAL Hollywood Beach, EX RI Golden Tower, EX MKT Jp Henderson, Ex ARR Neena, EX ACL Moultrie, EX NYC 448, EX UP Southern Hospitality, EX NYC #38, EX PRR Braddock Inn, EX ? Clinchfield, EX N&W Powhatan Arrow, Then two Amtrak Amfleet I lounges. I then sat back down in my car and enjoyed the view on a rare millage line. I found the small towns, and the rolling hills to be very cool. There were a few old churches by the track I found really cool. I remember seeing a school bus of kids watching us as we blew by them, and the look of wonder. There was a surprising amount of railfans, and non railfans out to see us. I got some photos of us going around a curve before we entered the mountains. I spent a few minutes looking out the observation lounge. When it was time for our Breakfast my grandmother didn't feel like walking that far to it, so we sat in the car and enjoyed a empty car. We just talked as the hills got higher. When we got to Old Fort we had to wave to the car attendant's son who was by the track. We went by the loops and there were railfans all over the place. I still find it amazing the track layout there.
I saw a railfan with a nice camera standing on a rock above a steep drop. Our P42's were struggling to make it up the grade. Being on the back of the train we didn't hear the horn at all. We pulled into Asheville early. It took time for us to get off, as the last six cars only had one door we could get off at. I then got exterior photos of all the cars. I wasn't allowed to the back of the Royal St. or locomotives, but I still managed to get photos of those in Asheville. The two of us quickly got on a shuttle bus, and got off at the first stop so we could make it to the Station restaurant. There was still a long line. But we waited. I walked around to get photos of the station and our locomotives went by, to get ran around the train. The curvature of the track made it look like a full train, but it was just three locomotives. The Burger there was one of the best of my life. We then went back to our train early. I talked to the crew, and bought a book in the gift shop. Our Lead locomotive #2 had a Hiawatha Decal on it. I then enjoyed the trip back, we slowly crept down the loops. I got a awesome photo of the train entering a tunnel. While the dome was at dinner I rode in the dome car.
When it was time for dinner I went to pick up a desert for the two of us. They were trying to pass two groups in one of the domes, and they couldn't do it, so I had my cars group cram into the small kitchen area, so the other group could get passed us. I mentioned I work at the SC RR Museum. I had interesting seat partners, but once I got the cake, I went back to the car, and we ate it. It was really good. We had a long extended turning maneuver in Salisbury. So ends that one trip

A few weeks later I was off again on a Amtrak Adventure writing a story about a kid who is a signed artist going to get signed in New York, but instead of flying like he did, I went my way, by Amtrak. I shown, up to the station two hours early. 90 minutes before departure the crew arrived, they knew me so we spent time talking. I watched the Auto Train arrive, and then my train the Silver Meteor Arrived. I boarded 9811 into roomette 5. I then walked down to the lounge and sat with my friends the crew for a few hours. They explained to me what they do at their job. The next morning I got off in DC 40 minutes early, I barely had time to eat Breakfast in the Diner a tradition of mine. I felt like if I had to pay to get there, I'm going to put a stop to see the National Christmas Tree. I got photos of our locomotives in DC, then I walked around the station. Took a METRO subway toward the White House. The trains weren't running yet there, so I went to the Smithsonian that wasn't open yet either. So I walked around the mall for 45 minutes, before checking out their train exhibit. I did the whole museum in 45 minutes, then I returned to the tree. I got photos of the models. Then I returned to Union Station to get more photos. I was told I couldn't take pictures of the Dover Harbor which made me mad, as I had my press pass. But you lose sometimes. Where I had planed on eating lunch opened a hour late, I barely made the 1PM Acela. Which had a Santa Decal on the nose. This was my first time riding the Acela, but I tried not to act like a foamer while boarding, and aboard. The train was prompt the whole way. I took pictures of everything.
The only thing I noticed that didn't work was the next station always was showing BWI. Once in NYP I caught a subway for my hotel. I caught the 3 train. Once I stowed my bags in the room, I went out on the town for the night. The next day I took photos for my assignment, that night I went to Rain, but had trouble finding it, but it started late so I didn't miss anything. The next day while I was going to Long Story Short, I was texting my editor, and didn't notice where I was walking and I bumped into a blonde. After saying sorry and things like that, I went on my way, she when on her way. Then I saw thirty photographers following her. That night I checked who was in town, I bumped into Taylor Swift. I recommend everyone see Long Story Short directed by Seinfeld. The next day I caught the 1 train at 50th ST for Penn Station. The subway stop still says to PRR trains in it.
I caught the early morning Palmetto while the station was still empty. I was in business class, I took a photo of our train in NYP. Our red cap initially took us to Coach first, then he took me to our car after he got it right. It was different then my first trip on the Palmetto. Around Newark the problems started. A guy a few seats behind me started blasting his hip hop music to the whole car. I may have had to write a story about a up and coming Hip Hop Artist, but I still don't want to be subject to it. We talked to the conductor. He did nothing, a brave passenger at the other end of the car told him to shut it off, it worked for five minutes.
I snuck into the lounge car for a minute while it was still closed, off from the rest of the train. At DC we got a new crew and I took pictures of the train there. The old conductor mistook me for the crew, and had me open one of the vestibules. Which I proudly did. I told the new conductor the problem in DC and he took care of the hip hop man. And he was a talker he made a long announcement. I was used to the scenery south, so it was all routine, but Virginia had a ton of snow. Right before I got off in Florence the conductor made a announcement to watch your wallet as we had a thief, and you could tell he was really mad about it too. I got a excellent night photo of the Palmetto in Florence. I watched it pull away, then I went home. Where I worked on the story. I don't work on trains, no matter how great a place to work on a story. I work as a crew member at the Museum but that is different.

Figured you guys would find this interesting.

Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice set of stories. Thanks for sharing!

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for amtrak92     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much Chris. That means a lot coming from you. I have been wanting a website, but I have no clue how to build one. Advice.
Posts: 465 | From: elgin (s-line) | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the reports. Are we going to get to see those pictures?

Frank in clear and sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow amtrak92.....

We may have rubbed elbows! I was on that train upstairs in the Northern Pacific dome which was either car 22 or 23, I forget.

As a youngster I had had the opportunity to ride Old Fort Mountain in a dome on the remnants of the Asheville Special and had wanted badly to do so again. We kind of got spoiled even after the demise of Southern Railway passenger service because it seemed like there was always another steam excursion just around the corner.....until 1994.

Highlights for me also included finally getting to see the inside of the SAL Sun Lounge car and discovering after the fact that my seat partner that day is also a regular Railforum poster.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:

Frank, I have some photos from that trip in digital form that I could email you. If you're interested, private message me with an email address.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the report, Amtrak92. I enjoyed reading about your travels. Too bad about the annoying passenger in BC on the Palmetto. I guess he thought by paying extra he could do whatever he wanted. How did you like the full BC car, as I believe the combined BC/cafe has been replaced. Was it on the rear of the train?
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland, my cousin and I took the palmetto to Savannah in November. the bc was in the front. We did have the full car the cafe car being directly behind us. We were quite comfortable especially having foot rests. The car attendent was very good and while he didn't stay in the car always seemed to appear at just the right moment. The conductors were great too. They took care of my luggage and in both Sav. and Alex were most solicitous about helping me on and off the train. I have a bad back and that makes climbing upand down rather difficult.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go to Train Web.org and sign up for one for free.

You will need an FTXP exporler so you can upload
your page.

Once you do that E mail me off my web page and I will send you a basic web page to start.

I will be glad to help you if you don't know html.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Amtrak 92 - A thought....

Have you ever considered joining the North Carolina Train Host Association?

I was a member in the mid-1990's when I lived in Fayetteville, NC. I've considered rejoining even though I live three hours from the nearest station..... I though back when I left the association in 1998 that we would have a train to Asheville before too long and that I could become active again.

--------------------
David Pressley

amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
I think we did as I spent time in your dome car. During the loops. I went up to get a few pictures of the locomotives, using a pentax camera
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Wow amtrak92.....

We may have rubbed elbows! I was on that train upstairs in the Northern Pacific dome which was either car 22 or 23, I forget.

As a youngster I had had the opportunity to ride Old Fort Mountain in a dome on the remnants of the Asheville Special and had wanted badly to do so again. We kind of got spoiled even after the demise of Southern Railway passenger service because it seemed like there was always another steam excursion just around the corner.....until 1994.

Highlights for me also included finally getting to see the inside of the SAL Sun Lounge car and discovering after the fact that my seat partner that day is also a regular Railforum poster.

amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Yes you can, here is the link to where I keep them all, http://www.facebook.com/tlapt?v=photos&ref=ts
The page I am the administrator, there are two albums of it.
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:

amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
I agree two bad about that passenger. I found the full BC car a lot like coach. But I still liked it. I miss the old half cars with the 2-1 seating as those were really nice seats. There were only two real tables in the car. We were ahead of the cafe car, right behind the baggage car.
quote:
Originally posted by palmland:
Thanks for the report, Amtrak92. I enjoyed reading about your travels. Too bad about the annoying passenger in BC on the Palmetto. I guess he thought by paying extra he could do whatever he wanted. How did you like the full BC car, as I believe the combined BC/cafe has been replaced. Was it on the rear of the train?

amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
Thanks so much Chris, I will get started on that right away. You are such a help.
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:
Go to Train Web.org and sign up for one for free.

You will need an FTXP exporler so you can upload
your page.

Once you do that E mail me off my web page and I will send you a basic web page to start.

I will be glad to help you if you don't know html.

Chris

amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Amtrak 92 - A thought....

Have you ever considered joining the North Carolina Train Host Association?

I was a member in the mid-1990's when I lived in Fayetteville, NC. I've considered rejoining even though I live three hours from the nearest station..... I though back when I left the association in 1998 that we would have a train to Asheville before too long and that I could become active again.

I have thought about that, but I live just a tad too far away. I would love to do the train hosts, I just can't get away from home that long to do it. I'm lucky to go to my museum once a month. But thanks for the tip any way
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Ah a92......

On the return trip facing forward I was on your left....2nd row from the front, aisle seat. I was wearing a grey sweatshirt so I'm certain you remember me (just joking)

There were a couple of folks who came up for pictures at various times descending Old Fort Mountain and I'm sure you were the one who was exceedingly polite!

Had I known it was you, I would have said 'hello'.

Regarding the Train Hosting, I was still single at the time and was able to do a Raleigh-Charlotte roundtrip on the Piedmont about once every 6-8 weeks. Some of the retirees would be out three or four times a week and I envied them having that much time to devote.

My last Train Host trip was July 4, 1998 and we still, at that time, had the Super Dome 53 in the Piedmont Consist...... a bargain for the mere $8.00 Business Class step-up fare.

--------------------
David Pressley

amtrak92
Member # 14343

Member Rated:
I do remember you actually, I thought that was you. I just don't ask around, unless I'm doing journalism looking for someone. I'm sure I was very polite, as I try to, in my industry we have to be, so I'm sure I was. I know I talked to a lot of people on that trip. The train hosting is really cool, I might have to take up on that in a few years, when I have more time, and a girlfriend who doesn't desire every day devoted to her. Which I'm ok with. I actually love it, I'm just not used to it. So that has cut my railfaning down, as far as riding, but as far as seeing trains, I plan dates near the track and keep a camera on hand.
I find the Piedmont trip worth it, I wish they still had the dome.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page