RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » A few more pieces...

Author Topic: A few more pieces...
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
of our Rail/Cruise Adventure in May nailed down today.

I booked us, using Guest Rewards Points for Business Class, on train 774 SBA-SAN on 14 May. It was a little more complicated than it might have been because we were each using points from our own accounts. One is down to 500 but the other is still strong at over 40,000. Hopefully there will be no unexpected track work, etc. This gives us a "civilized" departure at 9:20AM and a good arrival time for check-in at 3:10PM.

We will spend the night in a Bay View room at the Holiday Inn on the Bay. We've stayed there before and like the proximity to the train station and also to the cruise dock. There is something very exciting about waking up early and watching your ship come in. In this case it will be Radiance of the Seas arriving from Tampa, the Caribbean, the Panama Canal and the Mexican Riviera.

It's a bit on the expensive side but I figure I didn't "spend" the extra money on the private room at the hospital (None available. It was a very busy day in surgery.) so I'll use it to "fund" this little extravagance.

As I remember, there is a pretty good Deli for breakfast in the complex at the hotel.

Frank in wet (Just barely...) SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Frank,

I see that you are doing the 5-night Pacific Coastal on Radiance of the Seas. Such a beautiful ship. You'll have some Celebrity-shipspotting on the way with the Celebrity CENTURY in San Francisco, Celebrity INFINITY in Victoria, ending with the Celebrity MILLENNIUM in Vancouver. I also see you have locked in the Cascades and Coast Starlight. I love the Amtrak Cascades, such a wonderful scenic trip in a great train. A really great trip you have arranged, I am sooooo jealous!!!! Can't wait until my B2B 9-nt in December on the Celebrity MILLENNIUM out of Miami. I look forward to any pictures of your journey.

--------------------
The best part of life is the journey, not the destination.

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. The Millennium class ships, Constellation in particular, are our favorites followed closely by Radiance of the Seas.

Do you have a good source for finding out what ships will be in port? As you know, it can make a big difference, especially in smaller ports.

Thanks in advance,

Frank in sunny (But supposed to be wet!) SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmwnc1959     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two sites I use for tracking ships in ports of call;

www.cruisecal.com which has a new feature called Itinerary Lookup. I pulled up your ship and sailing date and it automatically pulled up the complete schedule and ships in port with yours.

The other site is www.cruisetimetables.com which is a bit more complex and also lists a couple of smaller European lines.

--------------------

Posts: 497 | From: Clarksburg, West Virginia | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Thanks for the links! Even more ways to while away the hours!!

Frank in, finally, wet SBA

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have a great time, Frank!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ugh......all of this cruise talk! [Wink]

I really need to treat myself to a cruise. I would love to know what it's like. I'm a single traveler (and I am NOT a party person....very low key), so I will continue searching for something that is warm and tropical, short in duration (3 to 5 days), and elegant but with the option for me to be casual (such as bypassing the black tie dinner, and having dinner served on my balcony). My friends think I'm nuts for enjoying solo travel, but I think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Maybe one of these days I will have to "shadow" Frank and company so that I have someone to show me the ropes. I just can't imagine what it must be like to go to bed at night with a warm breeze coming in through the balcony door and seeing nothing but water as far as the eyes can see. I really need to experience this. I just don't want to end up on a cruise ship full of young twenty or thirty-somethings who are there to scream, yell, and dance 'til dawn. I would hate it and would probably be a "never again" customer. I prefer traveling with older folks, who actually know how to have a conversation.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well. Frank and I fit into that description. The older, conversational one I mean.

Take a Mexican Riviera trip. They are usually seven days but very reasonably priced. And you don't have to actually visit Mexico. Just enjoy the ship.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Older than what? [Big Grin]

Frank in cool and clear SBA

navybanker
Member # 16430

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for navybanker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hopeful and Smitty -- If you'd like to cruise with grown-ups on beautiful, classic ships with great service, check out Holland America.
Posts: 24 | From: Connecticut | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
Smitty, try one of the coastal repositioning cruises in September that leave from Vancouver and end in LA or San Diego. Most are 4-5 nights long and Holland-America is offering up some nice choices. Don't forget as a 'Single Occupancy' you will pay 200% of the price listed. Then once you get to San Diego or LA just rail back home. A lot of the mass market lines have pulled out of California so it doesn't leave many options for a 7-night Mexican Riviera cruise other than Carnival.
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoying the ship for ship's sake - rather than the tourist traps in port cities - seems like the way to do it. Smitty - why limit yourself to the west coast. Since you can still get reasonable red eye coast to coast flights, how about sampling our side of the continent? Lots more options for a spot like Ft. Lauderdale to the Caribbean. And you could check out Tri-Rail too.

Although I haven't tried it, a classic ocean liner like the Queen Mary 2 might be worth checking out - it's designed to handle the high seas of the north Atlantic not a floating box like many. I think some itineraries might include Bermuda. Transatlantic fares are pretty reasonable.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a cruise on my wishlist.

Having gotten a blue collar taste of such riding a BC Ferry from Vancouver to Victoria in 2004, my wife and I would love to do an Alaskan Cruise complete with a stopover in Skagway for a day on the White Pass & Yukon Railroad.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
I have a cruise on my wishlist.

Having gotten a blue collar taste of such riding a BC Ferry from Vancouver to Victoria in 2004, my wife and I would love to do an Alaskan Cruise complete with a stopover in Skagway for a day on the White Pass & Yukon Railroad.

I have done five cruises to Alaska and all but one hit Skagway, and twice I did the White Pass & Yukon Railroad. A great cruise and highly recommended!

--------------------

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do it. Do it. Do it.

Last June my wife and I took a Holland America Lines cruise tour from Fairbanks-Denali-Anchorage-Seward (four legs Alaska RR), then Seward-Vancouver aboard ship with several port calls, including the White Pass & Yukon at Skagway. Cost an arm and a leg and a firstborn, but was well worth it.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
notelvis, we've been on one cruise, and it was an Alaska cruise. We did the White Pass RR trip. I'm not "hooked" like my brother and freinds were, but I absolutely advise you to do this. If we go on one again, we plan to go through the Panama Canal. Smitty, it wasn't tropical, so clientel may be different, but the ship ceratinly wasn't full of 20 - 30 year olds. Plenty to do (including just relaxing) without goign to the disco (I didn't realize anyone still called them such).
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I should note that in this arrangement, the White Pass & Yukon is on my wishlist. The wife might just stay aboard ship!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Frank how did the operation go? A hip replacement, as I recall? You're obviously up and going; I don't think they change the tires on cars at the Indy 500 faster than that! Miss Vicki and Art are supposed to visit here in a couple of weeks, and we'll obviously talk about you...give us some topics to gossip about!

Tom

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David, you might be surprised. My wife is no railfan but certainly enjoyed the WP&Y, it was spectacular.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Tom--

It's five weeks today since surgery and today I washed my car, hosed out the carport and went for a spin around the neighborhood on my own. That's a great step towards returning to independence!

Yes, Vicki and Art leave soon. She's promised me an itinerary but I have yet to see it. (Hint, hint!)

Frank in oddly overcast and warm SBA

HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Still working on the hotels Frank. Can't seem to get anything worth changing to from what I have in Philly or Boston. So I may just keep them.

Right now the LSL from Albany to Boston is bustitution. Rain damage to tracks but supposed to be fixed by 3/25. I will be on that segment on 4/5.

I will have questions about NYP soon.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmwnc1959
Member # 2803

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
I should note that in this arrangement, the White Pass & Yukon is on my wishlist. The wife might just stay aboard ship!

In Skagway there are several other very nice shore excursions offered. Another one there that I did twice was the Liarsville Camp excursion which included a salmon bake cookout and gold panning. There was also the largest dog I have ever seen in my life, a giant malamute. A jetboat to the Eagle Preserve, horseback riding, and glacier helicopter tours are also available in Skagway.

-

-

-

-

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page