RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sunset Limited Route Question

Author Topic: Sunset Limited Route Question
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Several years ago someone posted info that the Sunset Limited was using paired trackage in one direction between Beaumont and Houston. Does anyone know for sure what they are currently doing? Which direction differs from the traditionl line, was this MoPac trackage, and where do the lines diverge and rejoin?
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I rode it a few years ago it was eastbound on the old Missouri Pacific and westbound on the old SP Sunset Route.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. I had thought it was the other way around with WB on the old Mo Pac but maybe I m wrong. Also wondering where the lines diverge?
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The diverging point is within a few miles of the Houston station. A short backup move is involved but I couldn't tell you exactly where, only that it happened within minutes of our pulling out of the Houston station. I couldn't tell you where the lines rejoin; just that it happens shortly before arriving Beaumont.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
I appreciate the info. I will have to ask the conductor when I take my next ride on the Sunset.
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Settegast Jct at Tower 87 in Houston is where it takes place. Going east the train is on the old SP route, then it backs onto the former Mopac at Tower 87 where it then crosses over the SP route and out to Beaumont. Coming west the train remains on the SP route.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gp35
Member # 3971

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for gp35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is where Mo-pac connects back with the Southern Pacific line in Beaumont. Scroll to the east[right] and you will see the Beaumont Slab.
BTW, they have already started ripping up the slab.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Beaumont,+TX&aq=0&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=38.092988,79.013672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Beaumont,+Jefferson,+Texas&ll=30.070 802,-94.173989&spn=0.010176,0.01929&t=k&z=16

Posts: 562 | From: Beaumont Texas | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page