RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Starlight Reroute?

Author Topic: Starlight Reroute?
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hear from a friend who goes to the "other" site that there is a lot of buzz about rerouting of the Coast Starlight next month and in April. Does anyone have any confirmed info on that? Will it continue into May?

Frank in sunny and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is only for Train 11 southbound. No detours on Train 14

I received a message today that due to a massive tie renewal program UP will be conducting on the Coast Line between Logan and San Lucas, an absolute work window will require that the southbound Coast Starlight detour via Altamont and Tehachapi on the following dates:

March 23 thru 31

April 8 thru 15 and 23 thru 25

The dates are subject to change, and may be shortened up.

The detour route will be via UP Niles to Lathrop, then south to Lancaster, then via SCRRA (Metrolink) to Los Angeles.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How does this compare to the route of the Owl or the West Coast in SP days?
Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I've answered my own question. The Starlight will take the traditional route of Southern Pacific's OWL (Oakland to LAUPT) or once in the Central Valley, the WEST COAST (Portland-Sacramento-LAUPT).

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info. It doesn't appear that my trip (21 May) will be affected.

Frank in clear and crisp SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that the same route the CS detoured on a couple years ago when they were doing trackwork?
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No Regular route to Oakland then down to Newark
east through Niles Canyon and over Altamont Pass
to Lathrop then down the former SP Valley Line to Bakersfield over the Loop to Maojave and Soledad Canyon into Los Angeles. They are doing it this way to serve to Bay area instead of just coming south out of Sacramento.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm ticketed on #14 for March 25 and #11 for March 27 from Fullerton to Oakland and back. Didn't know the northbound will also be through Tehachapi.

Amtrak contacted us mentioning that #11 would be detoured. But I'll have to check with my dad as I think he only mentioned the southbound would be detoured.

--------------------
Matt
Visit gallery for photos of our train layouts

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is only for Train 11 southbound. No detours on Train 14
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, missed that your first post mentioned on 11 only.

--------------------
Matt

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Matt,

Take pictures for us!

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will be riding Train 11 April 8 from Sacramento in a Sleeper so I will be writing a story. April 4 and 5 I ride the PRS Trip over the Palmdale Cuttoff and over the loop again to Bakersfield. http://www.trainweb.org/chris

Chris

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perfect Chris.

What's the latest on locomotive 145 and it's Heritage Paint scheme? That's a nice looking locomotive.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Amtrak 145 was seen on the garden tracks at Redondo Junction facing pointing out now. It appears the repairs had been made but they was a big tag on the pilot still. I won't get up to LA until Sunday tp have a look where it is then or will it be gone.

chris

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Hey Matt,

Take pictures for us!

I'll try, but it's likely going to be dark/sunset when going through Tehachapi. Kind of why I wish #14 was also detoured.

--------------------
Matt

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Does anyone have a link to maps that show where the reroute goes?

I'm not super familiar with either SP or UP territory (just a vague general idea). My expertise is the Santa Fe.

So I'm trying to plot where this reroute will go so I can follow along on board with the right radio frequencies.

I have a CA region timetable (Altamont Press) and can kind of follow the path of this reroute. Here's where I think the moves are (page numbers refers to the page numbers in my timetable which is #19):

Jack London to Niles Jct. (Page 20)
Niles Jct. to Hicks Jct. (Page 28)
Hicks Jct. to Arena (Page 32)
Arena to North Bakersfield (Page 33)
North Bakersfield to South Mojave (Page 6)
South Mojave to Palmdale Jct. (Page 7)
Palmdale Jct. to CP Harold (Page 75)
CP Harold to CP Talyor (Page 75)
Cp Taylor to East Diamond (Page 73)
East Diamond to Los Angeles (Page 73)

Any place where I need corrections?

--------------------
Matt

chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Jack London to Newark
Newark to Niles Jct
Niles Jct to UP Connection MP 84.3
UP 84.3 to Station 61 to wye train
Station 62 to Fresno
Fresno to Bakersfield
Bakwersfield to Kern Jct
Kern Jct to Palmdale Jct
Palmdale Jct to Burkbank Jct
Burbank Jct to CO West Diamond
West Diamond to Los Angeles Union Station

Chris

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Thanks Chris

--------------------
Matt

Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Leaving tomorrow on #14. Coming back on #11 Saturday.

We'll see if it is rerouted or not. Wonder if the rain will affect the maintenance schedule?

I'll post a trip report when I get back, maybe with photos.

--------------------
Matt

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page