TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Paul Krugman on trains

Author Topic: Paul Krugman on trains
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However one might view Mr. Krugman's political views (no need for gratuitous snark about them here), it remains that he's a fan of trains AND a Nobel prize winner:

http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/03/01/trains-and-freedom/

(But what's this War on Liquids thing? Somebody clue me in.)

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... Take away the gratuitous snark and there is nothing else to say about him.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By "War on liquids," he is probably referring to all those liquids which you can't take through security onto a plane
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank goodness, Rich. I feared he meant that there might be a war on authoritative recreational liquids on Amtrak.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tanner929
Member # 3720

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tanner929     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe the Terrorist's leave the trains alone because they think in America only "fellow travelers" er liberals ride the train. Just kidding, hey someone had to be snarky.
Posts: 516 | From: New Haven, CT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tanner, I would believe they think a good percentage of the train travelers were packing. I always assume 20% have their gun with them.

Besides, the terrorists couldn't get many casualties even if the train was blown up in a major station.

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have seen some characters in coach who I would prefer to believe are not packing. At least I have seen enough movies to know that almost all armed conflict takes place on the roof.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Krugman is a very poor source for information.

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2011/03/satirist_iowahawk_schools_nobe.html

Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

TwinStar, also hanging on the sides of the cars and underneath, with leaps aboard speeding trains from low bridges above, and . . .
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just remember to duck when you come to the tunnel....

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
I have seen some characters in coach who I would prefer to believe are not packing. At least I have seen enough movies to know that almost all armed conflict takes place on the roof.

Sounds like you might have seen Ernest Borgnine and Lee Marvin having a "discussion" up on top! [Big Grin]

Yes, I am a huge Emperor of the North fan. It's my favorite all time train movie, ever. <period> game over. [Smile] I seem to recall Breakheart Pass may have had a bit of "settling things" up on top, as well. [Wink]

Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He might be a poor source of information, but this was a simple, non-confrontational blurb stating he likes riding the train. Sometimes, you gotta just give it a rest.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently saw the movie, "Breakheart Pass" on the Encore Western Channel". I also saw "Emperor of the North" a while back. Between the two, I favor "Breakheart Pass", especially for the cinematography. Breakheart Pass was filmed along the Camas Prairie Railroad, near Lewiston, Idaho:

http://www.wwvrailway.com/camas.htm

The movie used the old Great Western No 75 loco, which was also used in the movie, "A River Runs Through It":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LCljCj3gcU

No. 75 is now part of the Heber Valley Railroad, in Heber City, Utah.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page