RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » JAX Auto/Hotel suggestions

Author Topic: JAX Auto/Hotel suggestions
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Planning to take the bride down to Folkston, GA for some train watching late this spring. We've been to three places in PA and one in MO so far and are looking forward to this trip. We're planning to stay at the B&B in Folkston one night and need some suggestions on who to rent a car from and where to stay in the JAX area. As always appreciate your knowledgeable input.
Best regards,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HillsideStation
Member # 6386

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HillsideStation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and the most important part of the trip is we are of course traveling AMTRAK. NER to NYP from BOS with a stop at Ben's Kosher Deli a few blocks from the station. Then the SM on JAX and we'll reverse the route on our way home. Since it's "just" an O/N trip we're going to TRY and s-q-u-e-e-z-e into a Roomette rather than a Bedroom. I guess we'll live and learn.
Best regards...again,
Rodger

Posts: 112 | From: Merrimac, MA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Usually when arriving in JAX, I reserve a car at the downtown Avis location at the Wyndham Hotel. It's about a $20 cab ride but still slightly less than taking a cab to the Jax airport location. However, the airport is more in the direction of Folkston. Also try Hertz as they may serve the Amtrak station from a remote site. They are never open when I arrive on Sundays. As for lodging, the best bet would be something by the Jax airport: Courtyard Marriott, Hilton Garden Inn, etc.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I stayed in downtown JAX at the Hilton when I was there some years ago, but taxi fare was high and downtown JAX was pretty boring! Did not rent a car but if you do, you might drive to & stay in St Augustine, a nice historic town with much to see and do, beach too, and good restaurants, though it's been quite a while.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
St. Augustine is great but I believe Hillside wanted to watch trains from the Folkston railfan pavillion. That's the opposite direction from St. Augustine hence the airport vicinity suggestion. A lower cost alternative might be Kingsland, GA about a 1/2 hour drive east of Folkston and about 30 minutes north of the Jax airport. The St. Marys RR runs a local freight along there occasionally to interchange to the old SAL. But Folkston is THE place to watch train action in that area.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oops, I know Folkston is where everyone goes for train watching,I should have reread the original post. By the time I got to post 3, I had forgotten it!!! (getting old getting old)
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page