RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Austin, Tx trip coming up

Author Topic: Austin, Tx trip coming up
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
During the first week in May I'll be heading to Austin, Tx for a ShelterBox USA training session. Taking Amtrak all the way from Syr. Coach between Syr and Chi and roomette between Chi and Aus, both ways. I figured I might as well see some country I have never seen before.

Looking for information on reasonable hotels within walking distance from the Amtrak Station. I'll be in a hotel the evening of arrival and then again on departure.

Any other tips for suggestions would be appreciated too.

Thanks,

Joe

Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I recently lived in Austin 2 and a half yrs and walked in that area of town quite a bit and I don't remember any hotels within walking distance of the station. There are some of the 4* ones east of the station maybe half a mile around Congress Avenue. Most all of the 2* and 3* hotels are clustered around freeway interchanges on the outskirts of town.
Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I stayed in Austin I had to take a taxi to my hotel, which was downtown where all the hotels are. It wasn't prohibitively expensive cab fare. The hotel I stayed in was pricier than normal, but I just stayed one night--it was a Hampton Inn (and may I say the nicest Hampton Inn I've ever stayed in). It was very convenient. I walked to a blues music place that also happened to have fantabulous Texas (beef rather than pork) BBQ. I also visited the O Henry House which was very nearby, tiny, interesting. I walked up to the Capitol and toured it, not the best tour as students give it but nice enough. Also walked up to the University, beyond it and its museum, where there is a lifesize statue of Lyndon Baines Johnson telling jokes. There is also a big state museum near the Capitol, Bob somebody's Texas State Museum; I missed that though. I also did not see the bats, because it was January, but when you are there they should be too.

BTW, if you have extra time, I strongly recommend San Antonio, at least it was lovely when I was there. Fantastic Mexican food there, too.

Enjoy!

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Joe Urda   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My trip from Syr to Aus is soon to be. First week in May. I've been watching the delays on the Eagle and I'm wondering, is this from the tornados or fires in Texas? Also, is there a sightseer lounge on this train and is it available to everyone or just 1st class?
Posts: 85 | From: Finger Lakes Region of NY | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The current delays are from scheduled track work in southern Illinois. On top of that, in the last few days, flooding in Arkansas and Missouri. Tornadoes and fires are certainly a possibility, but I don't think either has caused a service disruption yet.
Yes, there is a sightseer lounge on the Texas Eagle, as well as a Cross Country Cafe car, with which I personally don't have a problem. You will be able to have dinner in the diner before you get to Austin, and you will be able to get breakfast when you board around 9:30 am on the way home.

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just went into effect a few hours ago. Eagle cancelled south of St. Louis due to flooding in Arkansas. Unknown when they'll start through again, last train through was northbound #22 which is about 11 hours late at this point.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Austin, the place to stay is in the Warehouse District east of downtown. It's about a mile more or less due east of the Amtrak station. There are lots of restaurants and bars you can walk to. There's a modern hotel (may have been the Hampton Inn already mentioned) in a historic building that is very nice. I've stayed there. The other attraction in that area is the terminal for the diesel light rail commuter line on the former SP branch owned by the City of Austin. Ride it if you can!

At one time there was street trackage on 4th Avenue from the Amtrak station through downtown to a connection with the former SP. Some of it was still in, though unused, on my last trip to Austin about five or six years ago. But the area is gentrifying fast, and it may be gone by now.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Urda
Member # 8938

Rate Member
Thanks for the updates. I'm due to leave Chicago on the 5th, room #2. Hope that this weather settles down by then. Glad to be able to get a sleeper. Having a roomette makes delays a little easier to handle.
I'm looking forward to seeing this part of the country. Never been there.

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The music place with terrific BBQ was Stubbs, 801 Red River St at 8th, Downtown, 512-480-8341, www.stubbsaustin.com. I had the brisket sndwch, w 2 sides inc yams, really good. They are said to have a good Sunday gospel brunch too. There are lots of music places on a strip, something like Nashville (but different music); very nice.

RResor, might the one you mean be the Clarion? I don't remember the Hampton building but don't think it's the one you mean. But there is an elegant hotel nearby called the Driskill, 604 Brazos at 6th, Dwntwn, 512-474-5911, www.driskillhotel.com I went in and looked around--be sure to see mezzanine, art on 4th etc floors. They have a restaurant and grill, pricey probably. There was also a fancier hotel across from the Hampton, with a river view, possibly the 4 Seasons.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner,

No, not the Driskill. I know it well (never could stretch my expense account far enough to stay there, though). This place was in an old building that had been gutted and made into a brand new, very nice hotel. I can't seem to find it now. It may now be the Marriott Courtyard Convention Center. Was in a great location, lots of restaurants and other stuff right out the door.

Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page