RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » FRS RADIOS ON TRAINS

Author Topic: FRS RADIOS ON TRAINS
KA6BGJ
Member # 662

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KA6BGJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would like to know if anyone out there has used or has seen other passengers on board the trains use the Family Service Radio walkie talkies to communicate with other members of their party on board the trains.

It seems to me that these walkie talkies would come in very handy to keep in touch with your husband/wife/traveling partner when going separate ways on the train. An example of what I am talking about would be if a passenger went to the Dining car in the early morning for Breakfast and his Wife wanted to sleep in late in the Sleeper car. When the Wife wakes up, she can easily contact her husband who is in the Dining car to let him know that she would like for him to bring some Breakfast back to the room so that she can eat in bed that morning.

Does anyone know if those FRS walkie talkie radios are used very often by passengers?

Posts: 88 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mho357
Member # 1204

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted      Profile for mho357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We used them on our last trip to stay in touch with our two kids (12 & 14) and they worked just fine. We didn't notice anyone else using them but we weren't really looking, either.

Mark

Posts: 102 | From: Fort Worth,TX,USA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zephyr
Member # 1651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zephyr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife and I use them when we travel. We have found these two-way radios very useful on the train and at our destinations. These radios have become standard items in our "train kit" (along with a mini-maglite, small wad of duct tape, inflatable neck pillows, etc.).

[This message has been edited by zephyr (edited 07-27-2002).]

Posts: 445 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fumes5
Member # 1437

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fumes5   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use them all the time, next week on the Starlight I will have them. they do come in hady quite a bit. It's a good buy.

-Fumes5
pcmcrr.cjb.net

Posts: 43 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page