RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Starlight trip (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Coast Starlight trip
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:

I don't remember the tables in the Diner being any roomier so I think their only other option would be to have their car attendant bring meals to their rooms.
Frank in sunny and warming SBA

The tables in the PPC definitely have less gut room than the tables in the dining car. Trust me...I notice it every time. [Smile]
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank thanks for the suggestion I will have my wife do that. So? were you on the southbound on Sunday? Did I see you in the parlour car?
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cubzo--

Make the call and see what they say. This is the second time I've worked with Guest Relations and they seemed really ready to make things right.

We were on Saturday's #11 which was your very late train turned at PDX instead of SEA.

Frank up early in clear and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg:
Quoting million mile man Chris G, "every ride is an adventure"!

It is "Every trip is an adventure!"

I would conjecture that a train RIDE is a short excursion lasting 14 hours or less when you return to your point of origin on the same day.

A train TRIP is a lengthier journey involving spending at least one but preferably two or even three nights on the train and requiring sleeping accomodations.

Had a similar-ish discussion on another forum about what constitutes "visiting" a country. For example, if you took Eurostar from the UK to Brussels without stopping in France, does that count as having "visited" France? And would a rollercoaster count as a means of transport since you return from whence you came? (The actual task posed was to visit ten countries using six different modes of transport, leaving northern England on a Friday and arriving at a conference in Zagreb, Croatia two days later)
Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the train originated in Portland instead of Seattle, it might not have received the full cleaning and stocking it would have received overnight in Seattle. So instead of steaks from the Seattle commissary, the diner may have been re-stocked at the closest Costco to Portland's Union Station. In Seattle, many times I've seen Amtrak staff shopping at the Cash & Carry across the street from the maintenance facility.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vincent--

They trucked all of the supplies down from Seattle, including linen.

Thanks for your information on getting from King Street Station to the light rail to the airport. We didn't use it but I did pass the directions on to other cruisers and two couples have reported back with positive reports. I'm looking forward to trying it the next time I'm in Seattle.

Is it possible to get to the Museum of Flight by using that line?
We've always taken the city bus that stops across the street.

Frank in sunny and soon to be windy SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There isn't a light rail station near the Museum of Flight, but for an adventure you could take light rail to the Tukwila/International Blvd station and transfer to Route 124, which stops right in front of the Museum. You also can catch the 124 in downtown Seattle on 3rd Avenue, which would be the fastest route to the MoF. Note that 124 is a new number for the bus route to the Museum--older guide books may suggest taking route 174 to MoF, but that info is now out-of-date.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page