RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » getting to Winnepeg

Author Topic: getting to Winnepeg
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot find the thread but wanted to report that a friend told me that the demise of the Jefferson Lines bus from Grand Forks ND to Winnepeg may not be permanent. The route was ended because of costly delays at the border, and the bus company is trying to work something out to make those problems less costly. If it does ever resume, it may be only a seasonal bus, my friend said.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one hope it comes back. I'd love to take the Builder from Chicago to Grand Forks, then bus to Winnipeg and catch the Canadian to Jasper, then take the Skeena to Prince George and Prince Rupert, then take a ferry to Vancouver, returning home via Seattle and the Builder.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, I also have used that bus several times over the years for the convenience of connecting to the Canadian. I was sorry to hear of its discontinuance...
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sojourner:..it was my post "Plans Abandoned". Thanks for the information on the Jefferson Lines bus. I hope it does return.

Too bad the Winnipeg Limited isn't still around:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnipeg_Limited

Henry: I keep hoping that the VIA train will someday have a branch line from Calgary to Edmonton.

I may have a solution for getting from Northern Montana, one-way, up to Alberta, Canada. I will be posting the information, once verified, in a couple of days.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I lost your thread, Yukon 11--I forgot the name of it was "Plans Abandoned." But I assume you saw there my info and someone else's about the shuttle from Glacier Park to the Canadian NP from which you could get to Calgary (from where you can catch the Brewster bus to Jasper or Greyhound CA bus to Edmonton or the costlier but lovely Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver. . . .

Everyone else: If you want to see the bus resumed and really do plan to use it, I suggest you contact Jefferson Lines and add your encouragement.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page