TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Midwest FORCE MAJEURE

Author Topic: Midwest FORCE MAJEURE
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Folks,

If you plan to travel 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 or the Missouri River Runners this summer, have alternate travel plans.

I live in Kansas City; UP is preparing to close the historic Missouri Pacific on the west side of the Missouri River; BNSF is preparing to close the historic CB&Q on the east side of the River. That doesn't affect Amtrak going North to Omaha, but eventually the MP closure will hit at Jefferson City along the River eastbound to St Louis, taking out the River Runners.

In addition, there's a wildfire on Raton moving 3/4 to the Transcon, 5/6 are annulled at Denver for the Missouri flooding at Omaha, and 7/8 are annulled for BNSF closures.

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&p=1237608345018&cid=1248543806890

It's going to be a long summer in the western US. [Frown]

If you're of a mind, you can find details at www.weather.gov

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Railroad Bob
Member # 3508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Railroad Bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd love to ride the Chief over the Transcon and see places like Abo Canyon, but I'm sorry its such a damaging reason (ie, the fires) to have moved the train. There's more to think about here than "railfannery" eh? Wish the best for all ppl concerned; in the route(s) of the fire(s.)
Posts: 588 | From: East San Diego County, CA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PullmanCo:

That doesn't affect Amtrak going North to Omaha

?????? Did they institute a new route Kansas City-Omaha that I'm not aware of? Please explain.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Empire Builder (7/8) resumes tomorrow 6/15 via Grand Forks. http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/news/articles/amtrak-service-resumes_2011-06-14

Amtrak.com showed space available MSP to Devil's Lake for 6/15, confirming no detour yet.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breathing a measured (yet still cautious) sigh of relief. I'm booked to ride #8 from Seattle one week from today.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
#7 now leaving Grand Forks 1:45 late. Devil's Lake up next. Can anyone mimic the DIVE! DIVE! sound from the old submarine movies? Every train ride IS an adventure.
http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/
#8, 5, 6 and 4 not doing too bad.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
5/6 will no longer serve Omaha for the duration. From what I can see on google maps, the route is diverted at Lincoln by way of Bennet, Plamyra, Syracuse, Nebraska City, Union, and Plattsmouth NE. It crosses the Missouri between Plattsmouth and Pacific Junction IA, there rejoining the advertised route.

Note: The levees on the Missouri are not in grand shape. Pacific Juntion is 25 miles north of where you're hearing about the levees failing at Hamburg, IA, and 23 miles south of where I-29 and I-80 intersect. Check constantly if you have travel plans July - September. As of this morning, the river where I observe it had actually fallen a foot overnight, but the forecast maps are for floodplain inundation, worse than 1993. If it gets that bad as far down as Kansas City, eventually the "Route of the Eagles" will be hit too.

3/4 continue on the Transcon.

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Service for 3/4 is fully restored.

5/6 will serve Omaha from an alternate site. My guess is Brand X Bus from Lincoln.

--------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page