RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » June trip Itinerary Change - punting Montana

Author Topic: June trip Itinerary Change - punting Montana
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got off the phone with a very helpful agent at Amtrak Guest Rewards.... I needed to make some changes to my planned itinerary because, frankly, the Empire Builder's performance is just too erratic right now to build a trip around that train. I had legitimate concerns of being stranded in Havre, MT Wednesday with no passenger train coming to carry me onward for days.

Sooo.... the new itinerary will be flying tomorrow (Tuesday) to Seatle. Wednesday morning I'll sample the Talgo down to Portland and then travel onward to Los Angeles (arriving Thursday, June 23) on the Coast Starlight.

This gives me an extra day to kill in SOCAL Friday the 24th. I might venture out for a roundtrip down to San Diego.....maybe a Dodgers game....... we'll see.

Any great railfan thing going on in the LA area June 24th?

Flying back east from LAX on the 25th.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you think, David, that the Empire Builder would have major delays in the summer? I would think on-time performance would be much better during the summer months. I took a round-trip journey, on the Builder, from Seattle to Whitefish last summer. Pretty much on-time getting into Whitefish with only about a 20 min. delay catching the westbound train back to Seattle.

I don't know what your plans and objectives are, but If you still wish to travel to Glacier, an alternative might be a flight to Minneapolis and catching the westbound Builder to Seattle. Or, better yet, a flight to Salt Lake City then a flight from Salt Lake to Kalispell. A short rental car or bus trip up to Whitefish, and after an afternoon in Whitefish you could catch the Builder at Whitefish on to Seattle.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David--

If you do decide to do a Dodgers game (I haven't looked at the schedule) there is a free shuttle from the back side of Union Station (Patsouras Plaza) to the Stadium.

Frank in overcast and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But don't cheer for the other team. Dangerous!

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like on the 24th Dodgers will be playing the Angels. I have been to many games in the Ravine and have never had a problem. Both teams should be well represented by their fans. I would think that if you maintain a neutral position you should be alright.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ballgames of any stripe, I wear blue (as in Kentucky blue). That ought to be safe in Dodger country.

Thanks for the tip about the free shuttle Frank.

Richard, your suggestions are good ones but I'm already committed to a pair of 'cheap' flights.... to Seattle today and from LAX Saturday....

And yes, the Builder's performance so far this summer has been abysmal when it has even run. It was suspended west of MSP June 1-15 due to flooding in the Dakotas and Montana. Now that it is running, the train has been reaching it's endpoints in the 6 to 8 hour late range. Today's inbound number 7 was nearly 7 hours late out of Whitefish which means that tonight's number 8 (the one I was originally booked to ride) will get out of Seattle several hours late..... if at all. Number 8 (20th) is in the dreaded 'service disruption' status and apparantly was annulled shortly after reaching Everett.

While I hate having to give up on an itinerary planned months ago, I'm feeling pretty good about deciding to give up on the Empire Builder on this trip. Getting out of Havre on short notice by any means other than Amtrak is a costly endeavor.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDRR
Member # 2992

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDRR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very wise decision, David. Amtrak has again suspended service due to "record flooding" in ND area per their website...
Posts: 332 | From: Long Island, NY USA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..and flooding is expected to continue in the Missouri River watershed into September. 140% of normal water volume.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Yes indeed...... had a nice dinner in Seattle, did the tourist thing at the Space Needle, got some souvies, sampled the lightrail, and am now in a comfortable hotel near the airport.

Either way, it seems, I was winding up in a Seattle hotel tonight.

I'll get up at 5:00am and catch the lightrail back downtown for a Business Class seat on the 7:30am Talgo to Portland and then onward to LAX in bedroom E of the 1130 sleeper on the Coast Starlight.....

Yes, I know I could have just gotten the Starlight from Seattle BUT I wanted to sample the first class lounge at PDX..... and the wakeup call will be nothing.... my body is still on eastern time. Last time I flew into Seattle I was wide awake at 4:00am!

--------------------
David Pressley

Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Beautiful weather in Seattle today, Portland should be great tomorrow. The Metropolitan Lounge is nice, but I think you'll want to get outdoors. I usually take a walk up to Powell's Books, looking for something to read on the trip.

The light rail trip from the airport to the International District/Chinatown station should take 31 minutes. It's about a 5 minute walk from ID/C station to King Street Station. Ride facing backwards for good views of Mt. Rainier.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't the sun up at 4:00am in Seattle? I remember it being up close to 4am and setting close to 10pm.
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Longest day of the year in Seattle:

Sunrise 0511
Sunset 2109

Almost a 16 hour day on the summer solstice, compared to a 14 hour day being the longest where I live.

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
I was up at 4:30am..... already beginning to get daylight at that point....

BUT, another topic to start....

--------------------
David Pressley

sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad you were able to change your route to avoid the flooding. I changed my whole summer trip because of it. Enjoy yourself!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page