RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Birthday trip fix

Author Topic: Birthday trip fix
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a birthday last week, so took Friday off and rode trains. Surprisingly, my college-age son agreed to go with me, which I enjoyed. My favorite one-day loop (Modesto-Stockton-San Jose-Sac-Modesto) is no longer as the ACE trains stopped a late morning trip a while ago. So we went from Mod to Oakland, to Sac, then back to Modesto. Trips were all on time, seats were plentiful (guesstimate that 50% seats used), and I enjoyed the scenery. I really like the route from about Stockton, along the Carquinez Strait, on around Port Costa. We had a few snacks on the train, and had hoped to browse the Barnes and Noble at Jack London square. It has been gone for a while, though, so we wandered around the marina and had a coffe at a small cafe. Whole area has been re-done since I worked in Oakland 20 years ago, but it still seems seedy and the quote, "There is no there there" seems apt. Took Capital Corridor to Sac, and wandered around Old Sac. Ate a good lunch, and people watched. We didn't go to the Rail Museum due to time. Back to Modesto, with a soda, and then home. Conductor on that train mentioned the accident with Train 5, but no details. On the whole agood day for me, but I don't think my son is yet as enthralled as I am with train riding. But he's getting there.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations on the birthday and the great day with your son!

It's too bad that the Barnes and Noble is gone. It was one of the key stores in the Jack London Square development. We lost both our B&N and Borders within weeks of each other and now the Borders in Goleta (near UCSB) has also closed.

Frank in sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page