RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » overnight in fort worth

Author Topic: overnight in fort worth
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I expect to be on the Texas Eagle this fall and would like to stop in Fort Worth for one night to see the Stockyards & maybe something else of downtown. Will not be getting a car & don't want to spend a fortune on taxis (though will take one of course). Does anyone have any hotel suggestions, not too expensive but comfortable and safe? Would you suggest we stay near the train station itself or near the Stockyards (are they near each other) or what? Would it be OK to be in Fort Worth on the weekend or would week days be better? Thanks for the info!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From my AAA tour book of Texas, the following are all 3 diamond rating, fairly reasonably priced, and not far from the Amtrak station:

Embassy Suites, 600 Commerce St (817)-335-1300

Hilton, 815 Main St. (817) 870-2100

Texas White House B&B, 1417 8th Ave (817) 923-3597

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The stockyards are a couple of miles north of downtown Fort Worth (understandably; the money men didn't want to be too close to the smell!). Of course, all of the animals are gone now (save for a small herd of cows which are driven through the square a couple of times daily). I recommend that you stay at the stockyards; all of the major attractions and plenty of restaurants and bars (including the 500 lb. gorilla of them all, Billy Bob's Texas) are within walking distance. I stayed at the historic Stockyards hotel; it is an early 20th century building acceptably renovated and brought up to modern standards. There is also a much more modern Hyatt Place in the stockyards area as well. I think that you will find the Stockyards district much more walkable than downtown Fort Worth near the Amtrak station, especially after dark.

As to the weekday vs. weekend question: Crowds are heavier on weekends, but at the same time there are more activities. The weekly rodeo is held on Friday and Saturday nights, the tourist train runs Fri, Sat, Sun only (but you must board it in Grapevine...probably farther than you care to go). Billy Bob's is also likely to have more of a "headliner" entertainment on the weekends. But you can take the Stockyards tour any day of the week (I recommend it; they give a lot of behind-the-scenes and background information). There is a Fort Worth Stockyards web site; I suggest that you consult it to plan your visit.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for the information.
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
City of Miami
Member # 2922

Icon 1 posted      Profile for City of Miami     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have stayed in FTW a few times when I went up there for the opera. I did not like staying out at the stockyards which is totally touristy. The only thing I liked was that small group of longhorns walking through the street once or twice a day.

The Blackstone Marriott is a nice historical hotel right downtown on the main drag. Downtown Ft Worth is surprisingly vital, especially at night. The Hilton is also very central, just down the st. JFK stayed there the night before you know what. Be sure to visit the Water Gardens which is a short walkfrom the Amtrak station, which is a fairly short walk (although very hot in the day) from these 2 hotels. The Botanic garden is fantastic as well as the nearby museum district which features the Modern, Amon Carter western museum and the Kimbell which is an absolute jewel. The TCU campus is not far away. I like FTW, in case you couldn't tell, and they do great opera in their wonderful Bass Hall which is also right downtown off Sundance Square.

Posts: 326 | From: San Antonio Texas USA | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page