RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Ten train trips for less than $25

Author Topic: Ten train trips for less than $25
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frommer's website has named ten scenic North American train trips for less than $25. A pretty decent article, except for the mistake of describing the Cardinal as a "daily" train.

Here's the link. Any ideas for others?

http://bit.ly/jCI2ho #travel

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So long as you want to ride Sun, Wed, or Fri, the Cardinal is daily!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Was the Cardinal ever daily in Amtrak days? The phrase used is "once-daily" so do they mean it runs once a day, or once upon a time it ran daily? Both make sense, though I agree it could be misleading.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the Cardinal ran daily CHI-WAS for a while back in the 70's and 80's
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Mt. Rainier Scenic RR is a seasonal operation: Thursday through Sunday in the summer, weekends only in the fall. The Malahat is currently out of service, so I'll recommend 2 alternatives for cheap travel in the Pacific Northwest, based out of Seattle.

First, a day trip to Bellingham on the Cascades (from $22 each way). You'll see Puget Sound, the Olympic Mountains, the Skagit Valley and get a look at the San Juan Islands from the train. If you want a shorter version of this trip, just ride the train one way to or from Everett and make the return trip on a Sound Transit bus from or to the Everett train station to downtown Seattle. In the winter months, you can watch an Olympic Mt. sunset from a Sounder train ($4.50) and then catch a bus back to Seattle ($3.50).

Second, take the Empire Builder to Leavenworth (from $21). Because the train arrives at 800pm, you will have to plan for a night in Leavenworth, but it's a Bavarian themed town that loves tourists. Also, the return trip to Seattle leaves at 608am, so this is not a trip that you can do in one day, unless you want to party all night in Leavenworth (not likely).

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes - the Cardinal ran daily until October 1981. It was discontinued briefly but, with the support of some influential West Virginians, enough money was found to restore the train on a tri-weekly basis. Service resumed, I believe, in January 1982.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerome Nicholson
Member # 3116

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerome Nicholson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On behalf of the East Coast, let me suggest The Capitol Limited or the MARC commuter train From Washington Union Station to Harpers Ferry West Virginia. Harpers Ferry is a scenic little town nestled in the Appalachian Mountains at the headwaters of the Potomac River. It's also full of history, being the scene of John Brown's raid and a factor in the Civil War Battle of Antietam.
Fare is the same on either system; listed $9 each way on MARC, $18 round trip on Amtrak. However the Capitol Limited may hold an advantage with its glass topped lounge car.
One problem is the schedule only shows trains leaving Harpers Ferry in the morning and leaving Washington in the afternoon - obviously timed for commuters, so one may have to spend a night in Harpers Ferry. But I'm sure they have a pleasant little bed and breakfast place to stay in for not much.

Posts: 510 | From: Richmond VA USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rresor
Member # 128

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for rresor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, B&Bs are quite scarce in "downtown" Harper's Ferry (much of it is a national park, and local zoning apparently makes setting up a B&B difficult). There is a hotel at the top of the hill on the main road, with a stunning view of the Potomac. It used to be called Hilltop House and was a bit run down, but I think it has changed hands and been renovated. But if you have luggage, you won't want to walk up the hill!
Posts: 614 | From: Merchantville, NJ. USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
And unless I'm mistaken, there isn't a taxi in Harpers Ferry.

Might be a Comfort Inn on the outskirts of town that would pick you up at the rail station though.

--------------------
David Pressley

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would add Whitefish to East Glacier (seasonally) for $14.

And the Columbia River Gorge on 27 or 28.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page