RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sunset Limited

Author Topic: Sunset Limited
Buslady
Member # 1266

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted      Profile for Buslady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone!

We survived the Sunset Limited!
Actually it was fun. I didn't mind coach seating too much, a room would have been better but for the price it was fine. I loved the sound of the train rolling, clunking through the switches, the horn blaring almost nonstop through the east.

Everyone was pretty nice. One guy snored like hell, I didn't sleep well anyhoo. Especially when cutting cars at 2am the first night.

The food was ok, nothing to write home about.
A bit pricey. NY Steak was $17.50! Kids meals $5.50 and only Mac & Cheese or chicken nuggets.

The lounge car was the coolest car. It rained hard at times.
In Texas, I saw 3 slugs, never seen those before. Weird.

Lots of tiny towns, one stop there was a California Zephyr car on display. Some other small towns had some kind of station preserved with a car or steamer. I saw some guys clowning around on horses waving at us!

One thing annoyed me about a family, they were nice people but complained all the time about the service.
They complained how slow the train was, all the stops for freight, why there were freight on the back-they said that made the train slower, they whined that the conductors and other employees are not friendly..I kept my cool but it drove me nuts.
They don't understand the rail system, that Amtrak don't have their own rails, they can't go 100+mph, they have to use UP's rails...morale on the Sunset may be down because of the crap that's been going on, yeah they'll be grumpy, I didn't have a problem. The cafe guy made announcements like 10-15 min before he would close the snack bar, I can understand his frustration when some goon comes downstairs and bitches at him when he's just closed up; he grouched at one person when he headed back to his car. Nobody pays attention to annoucements. Well some you couldn't hear but most you can.

Then a whole bunch of people were rude enough to complain how rude Californians are. And me and my son felt like the only Californians there, I felt a little insulted but kept my cool. That's what ya gotta put up with in coach class.

It was fun just trying to WALK on the train! Some rails are so bad the train just bounces around. UP needs to do some upgrades bigtime out there! I can see some little kid's toes getting caught between the car platforms in the passthrough.

I enjoyed talking to the Rails & Trails couple.

All in all I've enjoyed the #2, I'm looking forward to the #1 back to home. I have a 2nd chance getting pics of things I couldnt get first time around!

Oh yeah, Chris loved the ride all the way.

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bus Lady - thanks for the report!! Where did they "cut cars" at 2 AM? I can't think of anywhere on the Sunset route they do that except maybe New Orleans, and that is not at 2 AM!

The "California Zephyr" car on display, I assume, was at the Maricopa, AZ, stop -- that car is actually used as the new station there!

Sounds like you had a good crew, but some troublesome passengers -- oh well, there's always those who will complain about everything. I am glad you enjoyed your trip.

By the way, what was your final destination? And how late did you actually arrive at the final destination?

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OOOOPS!!!! It must be too early in the morning for me to function properly! Concerning the last post, of course -- the cars are cut in the middle of the night in San Antonio!!! I know that, but I think what confused me was that Bus Lady said the cars were cut at 2 AM "the first night out" -- if you left from Los Angeles, San Antonio would be the 2nd night out, not the first!!

Please forgive my ignorance -- I also reviewed your last postings, Bus Lady -- you went to New Orleans, then went to Atlanta by car, right? How soon we forget!!

Oh well, I'm glad you enjoyed the trip! Let us know how the return trip is!
--Rich K

[This message has been edited by RRRICH (edited 08-06-2002).]

Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Buslady, thanks for sharing. Sounds like quitte a trip, and all in coach! I've done one night in coach many times, but never two.

About those rude folks, maybe you just got in with a bad bunch. In my experience such people are fairly rare. I hope your fellow travelers on the return are more civilized.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buslady
Member # 1266

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buslady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Maricopa, that's it. That was cool. There were so many locations I couldnt remember them all!
We picked up something during the first night, the night we left. I have no idea where we were..it was dark of course. I woke up and we were going real slow, it was cool felt like we were floating, then I saw 2-3 boxes, then a pickup off the side with headlights on, we stop...move forward, I saw a conductor off the train! Then we're jerking back & forth, I guessed we picked up or dropped cars.

My run was LAX to NOL. Left LAX at 11.15 but then we cut the cars that rolled in beside us! So we actually rolled out at 11.30ish. We got to NOL at 2.30 am. Better time than what I was hearing,4am!

quote:
Originally posted by RRRICH:
Bus Lady - thanks for the report!! Where did they "cut cars" at 2 AM? I can't think of anywhere on the Sunset route they do that except maybe New Orleans, and that is not at 2 AM!

The "California Zephyr" car on display, I assume, was at the Maricopa, AZ, stop -- that car is actually used as the new station there!

Sounds like you had a good crew, but some troublesome passengers -- oh well, there's always those who will complain about everything. I am glad you enjoyed your trip.

By the way, what was your final destination? And how late did you actually arrive at the final destination?

[This message has been edited by Buslady (edited 08-06-2002).]

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice report, Buslady, thanks for sharing. I've heard people complaining about the same issues before. The only thing I can do is try and educate those who will listen, but just try and ignore those who won't..

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page