RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » When and Why do Amtrak Trains Ring Bells?

Author Topic: When and Why do Amtrak Trains Ring Bells?
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have heard bells ringing before, but had not paid much attention to them. I recently rode the Texas Eagle, and for the first time, I had a scanner. Often, when I heard the conductor talking with the engineer, I heard bells ringing in the background when the engineer was talking.

I would assume the bells are to warn people of the train at times when they don't want to blow the horn at them, but I really don't know.

Thank you
Dean

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are FRA rules, individual state rules, and individual host carrier rules regarding this. Generally speaking, engines (not defined as multiple-unit motors) are often required to enter and leave station areas with bells sounding for warning purposes.

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not an expert, but when trains are moving at slow speed in station areas, they are supposed to have the bell ringing. I think it's a blast on the horn when the train starts moving and then a constant ringing of the bell while in the station area.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe there is a statutory requirement that the locomotive bell be rung continuously for ten seconds before the locomotive or train is moved from a standing start.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From GCOR (2005):
5.8.1 Ringing Engine Bell
Ring the engine bell under any of the following conditions:
• Before moving, except when making momentary stop and start switching movements.
• As a warning signal anytime it is necessary.
• When approaching men or equipment on or near the track.
• When whistle signal (7) is required. [ this refers to public grade crossings ]
• Approaching public crossings at grade with the engine in front and sounding of the whistle is prohibited, start signal at the crossing sign. If no sign, or if movement begins between sign and crossing, start signal soon enough before crossing to provide warning. Continue ringing bell until the crossing is occupied.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page