RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » My Agawa Canyon Tour Train trip report

Author Topic: My Agawa Canyon Tour Train trip report
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
is here.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interesting report Henry. And, as always, your photos are stunning.

Thanks a bunch.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for bringing back happy memories, Henry. My husband and I took that trip and loved it. I can remember sitting at the picnic table and eating the box lunch before going off on a short hike. We stayed at a motel on the Canadian side and feasted on broiled white fish for dinner. It is too bad we can't get that wonderful fish here. As usual your reporting makes "whatever" come alive.
Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for the lovely report. I am hoping to go there myself some day, and your pictures have inspired me!
Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great report and thank you for rekindling a great memory.

My wife and I rode the Agawa Canyon train in 1999. They were using F9 cab units and had a couple of dome cars at that time. It was a great trip that was cut a little short when the bank called us with good news and bad news..... the good news being that our mortgage loan application was approved (sooner than we expected). The bad news was that they needed us present by close of business the next day (a 700 mile drive) to sign the paperwork in order to lock in the lower interest rate.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A well written travel article usually makes you either want to totally avoid the experience or very quickly make reservations for your own trip. Your review certainly does that well - and of course makes me want to hop on the next train. Glad you pointed out some of the few drawbacks to the trip and I do think a winter ride would be spectacular, if frigid.

I see the Algoma Central website lists a combo option-take the canyon train then change there to their train to Hearst. As noted on earlier topics on this, you can then take the bus connection to Cocharne and the Ontario Northland train to Toronto. Now that would be quite an adventure and enough pine trees to last a life time.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
........don't forget the maple trees and the birch trees too!! [Smile] [Smile] [Wink]
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page