RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Amtrak service standards manual now available online

Author Topic: Amtrak service standards manual now available online
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Posted on another rail forum: the Amtrak Service Standards Manual, obtained under the Freedom of Information Act.

Makes for interesting reading.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bookmarked! Thanks for the link. Just a random and quick observation: Aramark is the company who provides the catered food to Amtrak. For the life of me, I could not recall the name after Gate Gourmet was fired.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having had some experience with hearing impairment, I just had to go to the page dealing with deaf passengers:

H. Assisting Passengers Who are Deaf or
Hard of Hearing

Chances are you will not notice a person who is
deaf or hard of hearing unless the person has been
witnessed using sign language or wearing a hearing
aid. Remember, not all people who are deaf can read lips, and those who do generally understand only about 25% of a conversation.

Communicating Verbally

• Get the person’s attention before starting a
conversation.
• Follow the passenger’s cues to find out if they prefer
sign language, gesturing, writing or speaking.
• Eliminate noisy distractions.
• Move to a quiet place if possible.
• Position yourself to be seen, face the person, and
do not let any object obstruct the person’s view
of you.
• Do not eat, smoke, chew gum or hold your hands
in front of your mouth.
• Position yourself facing the light source to avoid
shadows on your face.
• Use gestures and facial expressions to help get
the message across.
• Use a clear and normal tone.
• Be prepared to write it down.
• Check for understanding.
• Be patient!

Be sure that on-board and station announcements
are communicated to passengers who are deaf or
hard of hearing. If needed, write the messages down

-- That's all great good sense to me, and it helps explain why the likes of me seem to have a lot less difficulty than in the past with OBS crews, especially in the dining car.

However, I must observe that almost never is that last paragraph about on-board and station announcements followed. For instance, only once or twice has a sleeper attendant told me that the dining car was open (the most important on-board announcement of all, eh?) or relayed the conductor's explanation for a long delay.

I don't really blame them. They've got a lot to do without having to decide which of the announcements must be relayed.

Same thing happens with flight attendants. The ones on the Chicago-Washington flights never tell me, as requested, when passengers can get out of their seats to use the john.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cubzo
Member # 4700

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for cubzo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both my wife and I are hearing impaired as well and the only problem we have is with the announcements. I try to remember to alert good folks that work for Amtrak to this. When I do remember to tell them I let use their good judgement and common sense to prioritize the messages they pass on. Most of the time it works well.
Posts: 229 | From: Long Beach CA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Read that doc last week and I'm still laughing at 6:19 c)
that reads in part:

When performing paperwork or administrative
functions associated with job responsibilities
employees are required to:
• Avoid using tables in Dining Cars
• Avoid using tables in Food Service Cars
• Employee grips and outerwear must be stored
out-of-sight, and must not be left on tables

So this is why OBS and op crew spread out (sometimes) volumes of papers/reports/tickets/orders etc etc etc on Diner and Lounge tables.

Lest we jump to their defense, the manual notes:

When performing paperwork or administrative
functions associated with job responsibilities
employees are required to:
• Use the crew office or Dormitory Car.
If the train is not equipped with a crew office or
Dormitory Car
or if crew office or Dormitory Car space is not available,
then employees are expected to use a vacant
Coach seat with drop down seat tray.

Please read the entire reg b4 blasting this poster. The reg is structured for what appears to be LSA exceptions,,,

--------------------
_ _ __ _ _ ŤĦę ĊĦĪĘҒ
_|_|_|_|_|

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page