RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Coast Daylight

Author Topic: Coast Daylight
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched a nice show on local former PBS station KCET about the Coast Daylight. It was done in 2005 and had narration shots filmed in LAUS. Looked like a great train.

They talked about Union Station but also Central Station in LA. What station are they referring to there?

And of course it made me want to take a train ride. Maybe an SBA trip to see Frank?

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Vicki--

Oh, how I miss KCET! Even in its current non-PBS version. We could get it if we opted for a higher, more expensive cable package. For PBS we now get KOCE from Orange County. Saturday night with them is Lawrence Welk...

As for Central Station, here you go: http://www.kcet.org/updaily/socal_focus/history/31029-union-station-and-the-dream-of-flying-buses.html

And DO come up! It would be good to see you before you take off on your next cruise and we leave on our 28 night TransPac cruise in late September.

Frank in sunny and WARM SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I forgot to add that I have the DVD of that show and it IS wonderful, especially for someone like me who used to ride the Coast Starlight every summer from Burbank to San Francisco and back.

One year we rode the San Joaquin Daylight instead so I could see the dome car. We were delayed by a collision with a lettuce truck and missed the ferry from Oakland to San Francisco. I guess that was my first "bustitution".

The last year we did that trip I talked my mother into flying home and I had my very first flight -- a PSA DC4 from SFO to BUR. It was unpressurized and we hit turbulence coming over the Tehachapis. I swore I would never fly again...

Frank in still sunny and warm SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Central Station was the Southern Pacific Station used both by the SP and UP before LAUPT was built. Santa Fe used La Grande Station until LAUPT was built.

Chris

Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks guys. Very interesting. I never thought about what was used prior to Union Station.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page