RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » maple leaf lateness

Author Topic: maple leaf lateness
alinpa
Member # 1650

Rate Member
Icon 5 posted      Profile for alinpa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am planning to ride the Maple Leaf in October and I have been watching it's timing. It has been averaging a little less than an hour late until the end of July when all of the sudden the late times have run between 1 1/2 hours to over 3. One day was 15. Is there a reason for this jump?
Posts: 4 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AMTK271
Member # 1778

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for AMTK271   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heat restrictions in NY State maybe is the problem. On days when the tempurtare is 90 degrees plus, train speeds are lowered to 40mph I believe. Thats all I could think of.
-Paul

Posts: 24 | From: Cleveland, Ohio | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakeshorelimited
Member # 576

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakeshorelimited     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Paul is right, heat restrictions have been making all the NY trains that run west of albany very late last week. It's been an abnormal week for trains that normally run very close to being on time.

I'd bet on the Maple Leaf being on-time to 30 minutes late, depending on how much the train will be delayed at the border. My experience on this train has been that we've stuck close enough to schedule.

Posts: 140 | From: Albany, NY | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukrailtraveller
Member # 1852

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukrailtraveller   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I spent 3 hours waiting at the US/Canadian border because US customs stopped the train for a spot check for contraband leaving the country! Then the train moved forward 1/4 mile and stopped again while the canadian customs boarded the train... Not the most pleasant experience on a hot August afternoon!
Posts: 1 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page