RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Progress on King St. station?

Author Topic: Progress on King St. station?
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like this project may finally get finished - according to WSDOT
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Palmland, I'm delighted that this project can be completed, BUT I think it was in 2003 that Frank and Norm and I met up in that station which was under construction even then. According to the WSDOT press release, completion is expected in 2 years. So, it's been a ten year project? What have we been doing?
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, supposed to be completed by 2013..at least the grand stairway which will complete most all of the project. Here is another link to the progress made and expectations:

http://www.seattle.gov/transportation/kingstreet.htm

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tell you what - let's all meet in Seattle one weekend in January. Everybody bring a favorite handtool. Let's see if we can get that project wrapped up!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom--

Has it really been that long?

All--

Has there ever been discussion about having a Metropolitan Lounge at King Street? I would think that with the large number of Business Class passengers on the Cascades and the sleeper passengers on the Starlight it would make sense.

We took a friend down to catch the 2:00PM Surfliner to LA yesterday and an announcement was made that ALL seats were reserved during this holiday week. It's nice to know that they are making the effort to ensure that everyone gets a seat!

Frank in sunny and cool SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by notelvis:
Tell you what - let's all meet in Seattle one weekend in January. Everybody bring a favorite handtool. Let's see if we can get that project wrapped up!

I'll bring some of our Calif. HSR money. Not much use for it here.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I was in Seattle last year, they had uncovered the beautiful old ceiling that had been covered over; it was quite impressive.

Agree that King St could use a Metropolitan Lounge; Portland certainly has a nice little one. But I suppose it is up to the owner, which I believe is the city of Seattle, isn't it?

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And while we're making a wish list, how about a lounge for LA? I vote for the old Fred Harvey restaurant area!

Frank in sunny and warming SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Amen to a new Fred Harvey restaurant at the LA Union station. Or, after watching "Blazing Saddles" this morning, let's hear a harrumph!

Here is what might be possible:

http://laist.com/2011/04/26/metro_looking_for_a_restaurant_to_t.php

Too bad some restaurant chain could bring back Fred Harvey restaurants throughout the west and southwest. Maybe a quality outfit like Ruth Crisp could run them.

Richard

The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sbalax:

All--

Has there ever been discussion about having a Metropolitan Lounge at King Street? I would think that with the large number of Business Class passengers on the Cascades and the sleeper passengers on the Starlight it would make sense.

The original restoration plans, according to Washington St. DOT (circa 2006-07), were to include Metropolitan Lounge near trackside. Let's hope this happens.

Ongoing Phase TI started this year and is targeted to finish 1Q or 2Q 2012. TI includes ticketing, baggage and office upgrades for Amtrak tenant.

FY 2011 Seattle ridership was 672,485, with $45.3 million ticketing revenue. The restoration project returns a lot of the original aesthetic beauty. Original Architects/Designers also collaborated on Grand Central Station in NYC, so there are some similarities between these "bookend" stations.

The link yukon provided is a good site for info.

--------------------
_ _ __ _ _ ŤĦę ĊĦĪĘҒ
_|_|_|_|_|

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK--I'll keep my weekends in January free for some puttering around at King Street Station. I'll bring a screwdriver and a couple of pizzas. After we're done with the station I'll show you some of the other on-going and planned infrastructure projects near the station (some of them are actually making noticeable progress!). Our much loved/despised Viaduct near the waterfront is being demolished piece by piece. Traffic will be re-routed through a tunnel and the waterfront is going to be re-developed into a more pedestrian friendly environment. There's also a new streetcar line that will connect KSS to Capitol Hill via Jackson St.--construction will begin next year. And eventually the parking lot on the north side of Century Link Field will be redeveloped with four residential towers replacing the parking lot.

I wonder if the King Street Station renovations will be finished before those other projects are done.

Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by yukon11:
Amen to a new Fred Harvey restaurant at the LA Union station. Or, after watching "Blazing Saddles" this morning, let's hear a harrumph!

I didn't get a Harrumph out of that guy!
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd vote 'yes' for a metropolitan lounge in Seattle. As for Los Angeles - I wish that the original ticketing hall would reopen to the public in some form or fashion.

THAT was a room in which grand journeys began. The current Amtrak ticket booth feels kind of like buying a ticket to a movie.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sojourner
Member # 3134

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sojourner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am glad to hear about all those plans for Seattle. On my first (short) trip to Seattle, when I was catching the Victoria Clipper next day, I disliked the city intensely because I found the noise of that freeway dreadful when I walked from Best Western Pioneer Square area up toward Alaska Way. It wasn't until my second trip that I got further north, where there is no car traffic, and enjoyed walking up the bay. I also had much better weather and generally enjoyed Seattle quite well--so much for first impressions! On my third trip, however, I noted a lot of car fumes even walking down Second Street; so bravo to any plans for a trolley.

People complained and complained about the Big Dig in Boston, but I'm so glad there are no highways overhead in the main tourist area now.

Posts: 2642 | From: upstate New York | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vincent206
Member # 15447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vincent206     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WSDOT has also received a $16.1 million grant for stabilization of the land along the right-of-way between Blaine and the Columbia River. We had heavy rain on Monday and Tuesday and mudslides cancelled rail service between Seattle and Vancouver BC for 48 hours this week (Happy Thanksgiving!). That grant should help keep the trains moving.
Posts: 831 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page