RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Crescent suggestions

Author Topic: Crescent suggestions
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not much going on in the forum so I thought I'd ask for some advice.

The first week of January my wife and I will be flying to New Orleans from Atlanta for several days and returning on the Crescent. While I'm not looking forward to its 7am departure, I did want to see the southern part of the route in good light since not long ago we rode between Birmingham and Washington. So this time of year that means taking it northbound.

Any suggestion or thoughts on the early boarding time (how close can we cut it)? How about meal times - I'll need that first cup of coffee - when does the diner open for breakfast and how early should we eat dinner to be out of there before Atlanta arrival? Any particular sights (other than the Lake) to be aware of?

Last time I was on this route it was 1965 on the Southern's 'Southerner' headed for a fraternity convention in Houston - via a next day connection to the Sunset.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geoff Mayo
Member # 153

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geoff Mayo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the coffee shop in the station still open and open at that time of morning?

I've not boarded the Crescent at NOL but other trains I've boarded there have been 15-20 minutes before departure. Personally I wouldn't leave it too late as you never know what problems you might encounter on the way to the station!

Which reminds me of the scramble to get a rental car back to the convention center area and return to the station after the promised Amtrak drop-off failed to materialize.

--------------------
Geoff M.

Posts: 2426 | From: Apple Valley, CA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bill haithcoat
Member # 6773

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for bill haithcoat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They vary about first serving times. Normally the diner is open before Slidell. They do stiil have a Subway in the station though I am not sure how early it opens.

Eat dinner as soon as it opens because the time change will slip up on you before you know it

Roomette rates are quite cheap for that trip. If you do that there should be coffee brewing in your sleeper about as soon as you step aboard.

--------------------
bill haithcoat

Posts: 45 | From: atlanta, ga | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Bill, we'll see if the SCA is on his toes and has coffee waiting on us. We do have a bedroom as the rates on this segment, as you point out, are quite reasonable. Decided to hoard my stash of AGR points. I had forgotten about the time change. I'm sending you a PM.

Geoff, you're right of course, that we shouldn't wait too long. I wonder if the lounge in the station is open that early?

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find the route between Birmingham and Atlanta interesting. Lot's of curves, some hills, lots of kudzu. You may even want to consider going back to the lounge car for part of this section. That would give you enough distance back to get some interesting views of the front of the train as it swings into some of these curves. There are also some interesting small towns in eastern Alabama and Western Georgia..... riding from New Orleans the sun will be at your back and it should be a pleasant ride.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Notelvis, you're right about the small towns - one of the most interesting parts of a train trip. I'm particularly interested in the small towns in Mississippi where, at least on the CONO, many are a time warp (at least near the tracks) and look as I would imagine they did many years ago.

Too bad the sleepers are no longer on the rear (without a baggage car behind) - looking out the rear window on the Crescent on our last trip it was great to see the fine NS trackwork as it curved through the hills.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page