RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Anyone here with AAPRCO connections?

Author Topic: Anyone here with AAPRCO connections?
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AAPRCO is the association for individuals who own private railroad cars. Each Autumn they hold an annual convention and generally as part of their convention there will be a special passenger train made up of AAPRCO member owned rail cars.

The 2012 AAPRCO Convention is going to be held the end of September in Chattanooga and I have read that there will be an inbound special train operating from Washington, DC to Chattanooga via Salisbury, NC, Asheville, NC, and Knoxville, TN.

Which brings me now to the reason for asking my question. I am curious whether someone such as myself, a non-private rail car owning rail travel enthusiast, could make arrangements to ride this special train. If so, who could I contact?

Salisbury to Knoxville would be of interest to me but in particular the portion of the route from Asheville to Knoxville passes through the area of Western North Carolina where I grew up and have now returned to live. I've not ridden a passenger train up the French Broad River since 1977 and it is a segment of rare-mileage that I would like to have the chance to ride again.

Admittedly there had been other chances which I passed on...... but during the heydey of Norfolk Southern's excursion program there were generally four trips a year over that route and many of us kind of got lulled into the false sense that the opportunity would always be there......until 1994 when the NS excursion program was abruptly ended on very short notice.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not have any connections to AAPRCO, however, I was once a member and I know many members. Whenever AAPRCO has their annual conference and run the special train of private cars, generally speaking, each car owner will offer some type of trip that is for sale. However, one of the conditions of riding on this train is that you MUST join AAPRCO first. The membership fee is nominal (I don't recall the exact amount, but it wasn't earth shattering...I want to say around 30 bucks or so?).

I think the best thing to do for now is to keep a close watch on AAPRCO's website, because they usually post on there the information on who is selling space on their cars. But keep in mind that car owners generally do not sell "day space" on sleeping cars. Those who are on-board the sleepers are usually there for the long-haul and have paid a hefty premium to be there. I rode the special from Los Angeles to San Diego behind the steam engine # 3751, and then from San Diego to San Pedro. It was a VERY popular train and all cars were sold out.

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRCHINA
Member # 1514

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RRCHINA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A membership in AAPRCO is required to ride on this train trip. An Associate membership is $90.00 per year. With it your receive their publication Private Varnish and their annual listing of private cars for hire. You will also receive emails offering space on some of the cars making this annual trip.

As mentioned above their website will furnish details of this trip.

Posts: 467 | From: Prescott, AZ USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's Jack Deasy's website; useful starting point:

http://www.dominionrailvoyages.com/

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all - this is primarily the information I'm looking for.

I'd be perfectly fine joining AARPCO in order to do this but would hope that someone with a dome car or lounge car would eventually be selling dayspace on the Asheville-Chattanooga segment....

I'll keep my eye on it.

--------------------
David Pressley

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
K Tankersley
Member # 29054

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for K Tankersley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Information about private cars that have space available (including some that have day spaces) for the AAPRCO Chattanooga Limited can be found on AAPRCO's web site (www.aaprco.com)--- look under "Travel on a PV" then select "Travel Opportunities". Scroll down to September and you'll find several listings with places to obtain more information.

Kevin Tankersley
Alexandria VA

Posts: 1 | From: Alexandria VA | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can also contact California Zephyr Railcars directly to ask the owner (Burt) if he will be selling space along that segment. Here is his web page:

http://www.calzephyrrailcar.com/California_Zephyr_Railcar_Charters/Welcome.html

I don't know if his cars are participating in this year's AAPRCO trip though. Sometimes when they head back east, he doesn't go (he's based in Oakland).

Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Thanks all for the links. I have had fun imagining any number of great trips browsing these webpages.

I've also made contact with a private railcar owner offering space on a per segment basis. I have a deposit in for Asheville - Chattanooga. Hopefully enough other riders will commit to get the car on the train!

--------------------
David Pressley

smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Very good, David. Glad to hear you may be able to do this trip. If you do end up going, hopefully there will be some point during the journey where they will allow people to "walk the train". Since these cars are private property, you can't just go walking into the next car unless you have permission. But if they have an open house of sorts, then you get to walk through and check things out. I was amazed at how luxurious some were, and how bare-bones others were. One of my favorite cars is, "The Observatory" which I think is parked in Cincinnati. The photos on the company's website do NOT do it justice (and the old box style TV has been replaced with a big flat panel). It's an absolutely gorgeous car, and it's one that we rarely see out on the road for some reason.
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a video walkthrough tour of private rail cars, which were part of a rail excursion out of Roanoke back in 2009:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh2s8MlUoJ8&feature=related

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
That's a neat video. I've been on all but 2 of those cars. "The Observatory" is there--really neat car.
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
This is a neat video.

I've had the opportunity to ride this train the week earlier when it has done excursions for the North Carolina Transportation Museum the past two Octobers. Each of the private cars making up the first class section are unique in their own way..... I particularly enjoyed the Hollywood Beach Sun Lounge (not one of the cars in this video.)

My six year old daughter Amelia is watching me type and insists that I add that she will be getting her first overnight train ride this July aboard the Southwest Chief...... already got that family bedroom booked from Albuquerque to Chicago!

--------------------
David Pressley

yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an article about vintage rail cars and the AAPRCO in the May issue of TRAINS.

Here is a listing of some of the happenings and various cost information:

http://www.aaprco.com/Travel_Opportunities/Postings.html

Note the range of prices..some of them quite expensive. It makes one wonder if some sort of autonomous excursion could be rigged up...vintage cars with loco as an independent train. Let's say, from Chicago to either the west coast or east coast, 1-2X per week? I think it would be hugely popular and cost must less.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yukon - check this out.

David, my wife and I will be passing through Chicago July 29. Let me know if that happens to be your arrival date on SWC.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
I hate it when the background is black..hard to read.

Looks really interesting, Palmland. I hope we will get further news and reports from people who take advantage of the new rail tours. Thanks for posting.

Richard

notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Palmland -

No..... we will be in Chicago two weeks before you and Richard, I saw the article you cite and really enjoyed it.

Richard - saw the article you mentioned and will add that the folks in Spencer have run a couple of trips this spring tagged on to the back of the Carolinian..... the package includes 'deluxe coach' or 'premium' seating up to Alexandria, VA, a city tour, lodging, etc..... and apparantly was popular enough to sell out one of the trips. Proceeds on that one benefitting the museum.

Which reminds me....... I need to make another installment on my Asheville-Chattanooga ride. June 15th is the deadline.

--------------------
David Pressley

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page