RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Auto Train Trip in December 2011

Author Topic: Auto Train Trip in December 2011
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our northbound trip on Auto Train back at Christmas was overall very enjoyable. The train left Sanford a bit early as often happens. Our bedrooms were fine and we enjoyed riding in a deluxe sleeper. Dinner was okay - the menu was not as good as I'm used to on Amtrak - and on board service was overall solid. Our first impression of our car attendant was mixed but she ended up doing fine. The lounge car attendant was typical Amtrak as he just sat at a table with an expressionless face during the welcome aboard reception. The dining car crew as efficient and very pleasant. We arrived in Lorton an hour early despite a delay overnight. My full report will appear on TrainWeb in the near future.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the report. I'm surprised to hear mixed reviews on the staff. I thought they were on a special roster and a cut above trains where you find inconsistent onboard service.
Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did, too. The most noticeable crew member needing to attend charm school was the LSA. He seemed to just sit there with no excitement...you'll see a photo of what I mean when my story comes out on TrainWeb as it includes a photo inside the lounge car. Overall it was a nice trip. Nothing compares to the private A-T with its "mod" clothing styles of the hostesses. BTW, Palmland, note the reference to R-MC in my story (should be out in a week or two).
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is indeed surprising about your AT complaints. If you wish to let "the right people" at Amtrak know about this, I can give you a contact person in Sanford.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Thanks, Mike, but this didn't warrant complaining. The trip overall was very nice but I was just struck by the contrast between the LSA and the type of friendly service experienced on past trips on # 52 and # 53. Maybe this guy was an extra board holiday replacement. Usually Auto Train merits the top employees Amtrak can find. As noted, the rest of the folks we encountered were pretty solid.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page