RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Small fire breaks out on Zephyr Sleeper

Author Topic: Small fire breaks out on Zephyr Sleeper
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I found out why CZ 5(28) was so late out of Nebraska.

Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari says a bag of linen against a hot heater grate in a Sleeper ignited early Sunday as the CZ was approaching Hastings about 2:20 a.m. A fire extinguisher was used to put out the bag. Hastings FD made sure the fire was out.

No injuries. Sleeper set out. PAX "seated elsewhere."

I wonder if it was the used towel bag they prop up in the shower?

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_19852888

http://www.hastingstribune.com/january/newss0130amtrakfire.php

Happy New Year. I hope this isn't a portent of 2011's bad luck.

--------------------
_ _ __ _ _ ŤĦę ĊĦĪĘҒ
_|_|_|_|_|

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anybody know the car number of the car that this happened to? 32XXX is what I am looking for.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SunsetLtd
Member # 3985

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SunsetLtd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Amsunset

www.facebook.com/kevinschillinger

Posts: 250 | From: Texas State University-San Marcos, Texas (Hometown El Paso, TX) | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr williams
Member # 1928

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for mr williams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The passengers were very fortunate, as a similar incident on a UK sleeper back in the late 1970s led to 12 fatalities. The circumstances were almost identical, with a bag of linen being placed too close to a heater in the vestibule. Unfortunately, the ventilation system took its air supply from the vestibule, and most of the casualties were already dead from carbon monoxide poisoning before the fire took hold or anybody realised something was wrong.
Posts: 395 | From: england | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page