RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Freeport, Maine

Author Topic: Freeport, Maine
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a brief article, in the Jan. issue of TRAINS magazine, about the extension of the Downeaster to Freeport and Brunswick. The extension is suppose to start in the fall of this year.

http://www.amtrak40th.com/exhibit-train/stops/freeport-me

I don't have any real plans, but before I "chip in" I would like to see some of the New England states. If I were to fly to Boston, it might be fun to take the Downeaster to Freeport and Brunswick.

If I wanted to return on the VIA headed west, is there any easy way to get from Brunswick to either Montreal or to a station along the way of the Adirondack? Possibly I would have to return to Portland, Maine and take a flight from there, either to an city or town that would be an Adirondack stop or directly to Montreal.

It looks like the new Amtrak station, in Freeport, will be more of a platform than a true station. A chance to go the L.L. Bean store which, I understand, is open 365 days & 24/7.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The difficulty is that you're out on the fringes of the Amtrak system in Freeport. You would certainly have to go back to Portland to get any meaningful connections. It seems to me that you have a couple of options: the first is to take the bus from Portland to Rutland, VT (I'm assuming you can do that) and get the Amtrak to Albany/Ren. and pick up the Adirondack there. Alternatively, you could fly from Portland to Halifax and get VIA's Ocean (#15, I think) which goes to Montreal.

And, yes your understanding of Bean's business hours is correct.

Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While L.L Bean's is certainly worthy of a visit (and there are several good B&B's within walking distance), of equal interest to railfans and the general public is the new connection this service will provide with the Maine Eastern RR in Brunswick.

This is one of the most scenic parts of the state and Amtrak's new service should help the Maine Eastern's business, especially if it's scheduled for a good connection.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
train lady
Member # 3920

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for train lady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
and the lobsters in Brunswick are big and delicious. I was told that is because the water( Penobscot bay) they come from is very deep and cold.
Palmland is right the scenery is beautiful up there as is the coast of Maine

Posts: 1577 | From: virginia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TBlack
Member # 181

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TBlack     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I suspect that the lobsters in Brunswick come from Casco Bay which is where Brunswick is. Lobstermen tend to be very territorial and wouldn't take kindly to interlopers. Also, and this is just a guess, but I think the lobsters are better in Maine because the Mainiacs know how to cook them (you can overcook a lobster!). Finally, stick with the 1.25-1.5 pound lobsters; get 2 if you're really hungry, but the smaller ones will have better meat.
Posts: 518 | From: Maynard, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page