RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Joyride from Washington to New York

Author Topic: Joyride from Washington to New York
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still planning for a week in Washington DC in May, taking along my 12 year old nephew and my 9 year old niece via the Texas Eagle and Capitol Limited in an AGR bedroom. My mother will fly out to join us, then fly back home with the kids (they have to rejoin their family for a camping trip) while I take the Crescent and Sunset Limited back to Texas.

I had originally planned to take the kids to BWI on the 9:20 am Regional and put them aboard the plane myself, then head back to Washington and kill time until the 6:30 departure of the Crescent. Now that Mom has decided to join the trip, though, I can leave that to her.

I haven't seen any of the Northeast Corridor in over 20 years. I've only had one trip from WAS-BWI, one trip BWI-PHL, and one round trip on NJ Transit from Linden, NJ to NYP. From Philadelphia to Linden would be entirely new mileage for me. I'm thinking seriously of taking that same 9:20 Regional with Mom and the kids; saying goodbye to them at BWI, then staying aboard and doubling back to the Crescent at either Philadelphia, Newark, or NYP.

I've seen 30th Street and the current NYP stations. I've never seen the inside of the Newark station. Doubling back at Philadelphia gives me 4:33 of layover time; Newark gives 2:15; and New York only 1:35. I'd like to grab a sandwich or a quick lunch during that time.

What would our local group of intrepid Amtrakkers recommend? I want to make my reservations soon, because if I do this I'll be switching from a medium low-bucket cash WAS-NOL reservation to an AGR roomette...which will just about run my points dry. Other options (Acela or rebooking my current Crescent ressie) are a little too rich for my blood. Or should I just stay in Washington and spend a few more hours browsing the Smithsonian?

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Philadelphia station is one of the most impressive IMO though I have NEVER, repeat NEVER spent any time in the Philadelphia station without being panhandled.

I would take a look at the MARC schedules if it's a weekday and consider riding their train up to Perryville, MD and then back to DC and perhaps picking the Crescent up there on your existing reservation. That's because MARC is using bi-level coaches on the NEC and riding upstairs in one of those gives you an interesting perspective of the southern end of the NEC.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Notelvis has a good option. You might also consider using MARC's interesting old B&O route that parallels the NEC DC-Balt. A lot of history on it and it will take you into Baltimore -next to the historic B&O Camden station - where it would be a short cab ride (or long walk) to the B&O Transportation Museum. Returning to Camden, you can take the Light Rail to/from Penn Station.

Another option, is to stay on the Regional to Philly and then returning to Wilmington on SEPTA (it departs from the upper level at 30th st) and catch the Crescent there.

Wilmington has been much improved with the Biden upgrade and it's a good train watching spot from the center high level platform (and some of it is enclosed if its winter). If the weather is nice, the riverfront area is much improved and nearby the old B&O freight house that has architectural significance.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ehbowen
Member # 4317

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ehbowen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For our Washington trip in May, my mother is flying out to join me and the nephew and niece in Washington. Her flight gets into BWI (on a weekday) at almost exactly the same time that the three of us will be arriving on the Capitol Limited, assuming it's on time. I had planned to kill time in the Washington station and its Club Acela until she could make it to the station, then all four of us would leave for the hotel.

Mom has all her faculties, but...well, let's just say that one trip when she intended to drive to St. Louis, she ended up in West Memphis. I want to simplify things as much as possible and give her all the information that I can. I've made the BWI transfer once before...but that was during the Reagan Administration. So, here are my questions:

• She'll arrive at BWI (on schedule) at 12:35 pm on a Wednesday. Is it practical for someone to arrive, claim baggage, and transfer to the rail station in time to catch the 1:27 Regional?
  • If I buy the Regional ticket now it's eleven bucks. Apparently, if I wait till closer to travel time, it's likely to increase significantly. But if I'm remembering correctly, there is other (local commuter) service between BWI and WAS. Should I tell her to just get to the rail station and buy a ticket on the next southbound train, from whatever operator?
  • Can anyone supply pictures or a diagram of the BWI rail station to help make sure that she gets to the correct (southbound) platform? I'd hate to get a call asking, "Was I supposed to end up in Philadelphia?"
  • Off topic, but still of interest: Does the Capitol Limited serve lunch to sleeper passengers before arrival in Washington?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--------------------
--------Eric H. Bowen

Stop by my website: Streamliner Schedules - Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!

Posts: 413 | From: Houston, Texas | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're thinking of MARC and at that time of the afternoon you can expect a southbound MARC train roughly once an hour. The MARC fare will be significantly lower than the Amtrak Regional though the trip will take 10-15 minutes longer on account of making more station stops between BWI and Washington Union Station.

The one critical piece of information regarding the BWI Rail Station is that in order to catch a southbound train, she will need to take the elevator upstairs and cross over the tracks to the opposite platform.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eric, just having taken the Cap Ltd to DC the last week, I can say that lunch is not served before arrival at WUS. Breakfast and "brunch" were served from 6 30 a.m. to 10 a.m.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page