TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Seat hogs on Amtk California

Author Topic: Seat hogs on Amtk California
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yesterday I had occasion to take a Capitol Corridor train from Suisun/Fairfield to Emeryville. Upon boarding I saw that every passenger in the car occupied two seats, one for himself and one for bags and coats.

None would move their stuff so I could sit down. So I perched on an armrest until the conductor came along to take my tickets. "Go to Car One or Two," he said. "Seats open there." No move to ask a passenger to yield the seat next to him.

I'm from Chicago, and Metra riders will almost always apologize and clear their gear so a standee can sit. A conductor otherwise will make them do so.

Do Californians have such an overweening sense of entitlement that they assume one ticket buys two seats? And do Amtrak California conductors think the easiest course is simply to ignore that?

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RR4me
Member # 6052

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for RR4me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently.
Posts: 406 | From: La Grange, CA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Chief
Member # 2172

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Chief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Henry, I don't recall that situation last time I rode Caps.
But kudos for using overweening in a sentence/post!

--------------------
_ _ __ _ _ ŤĦę ĊĦĪĘҒ
_|_|_|_|_|

Posts: 190 | From: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe that behavior explains this:

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012/02/california_hate_americans_poll.php

--------------------
Ocala Mike

Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I'm an overweenie. Or more properly, an underweenie.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chrisg
Member # 2488

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted      Profile for chrisg   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the train has plenty of seats like in your case the crew will let the passengers take up two seats. If the train is becoming too crowded then they will make ann announcement of one seat, one passenger then will walk the train enforcing it if other passengers don't comply. It is like this on the San Joaquin and Surfliner trains as well.
Posts: 711 | From: Santa Ana | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is very common for these trains to have a couple of middling full cars and one or more near empty. Not a frequent enough user to try to understand why. The conductor may have though he was doing you a favor by directing you to a lightly loaded car.

As Chris says, if the train is going to be relatively full, the crew will announce that you do not take up more than one seat. If not, they seem to work on the assumption that you, as the new passenger getting on, would rather go to a car where he can occupy a double if you want to than have to sit next to someone else.

The Capital Corridor trains passengers are primary business people during the weekdays. A lot of the passengers will be pulling out laptops and working during the trip.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In short, Henry, the answer is yes----on the west coast, we are "seat hogs". I always make room for someone because that's the way I was raised. But I've ridden the east coast commuters, including Metra, and there is DEFINITELY a difference in attitude--there is no doubt about it.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
irishchieftain
Member # 1473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for irishchieftain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Do Californians have such an overweening sense of entitlement that they assume one ticket buys two seats?
AIUT, they have such a sense in general. This is the kind of state where one was once able to gamble using welfare cash.

There's really no excuse for what happened. Pacific Surfliners have overhead racks with enough room to stow personal belongings that would normally fit on a seat (hence the name; it's not a coffee table nor a desk).

-

Posts: 566 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
George Harris
Member # 2077

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for George Harris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Henry Kisor:
Do Californians have such an overweening sense of entitlement that they . . .

The answer is yes, and you can finish the sentence with almost anything you can think of.

And . . they see no reason they should have to pay for it either. Whenever I quit working here, unless something changes the only thing the state will see of me is my back dissapearing in the distance.

Posts: 2808 | From: Olive Branch MS | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page