RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Sleepers Rear (for now)

Author Topic: Sleepers Rear (for now)
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Had the opportunity to observe the passage of Amtrak 91 (Silver Star) and 53 (Auto-Train) with some 'down home' railfans at the junction in Selma, NC last night.

The eastern LD's (Silver Star) are still operating 'sleepers rear'. Consist was 2 locomotives, 4 Amfleet II coaches, Amfleet Lounge, Heritage Diner, 2 Viewliner sleepers, and Heritage baggage bringing up the markers.

Makes the train look strange from the watchers standpoint BUT no doubt provides a better ride for the premium fare passengers.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
palmland
Member # 4344

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for palmland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do think it's silly to have the baggage car on the rear. It reminds me of the last days of the PC when they managed to do that with many of their trains (presumably to facilitate intermediate switching). Having ridden the last car in the train many times, the effect of 'crack the whip' on curves is something I never noticed. They belong up front, not only from an appearance standpoint, a buffer for the coach passengers (and also for rear window watching) but also to have all the 'work' up front: crew change, fueling, baggage handling.

If it gets off the ground, I'm sure Iowa Pacific's Pullman Sleeping Car service will have them on the rear - especially with those attractive observation cars they have.

Posts: 2397 | From: Camden, SC | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The two revenue sleepers on the CZ are now on the rear. Starting April 1, the SCA told us, a third sleeper and a fourth coach will be added to the train. (This does not include the transdorm, which along with the baggage car follows the locomotives.)

This makes loading sleeper passengers on No. 5 very quick at CUS but on the rebound it's a LONG walk down the platform along No. 6.

Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agree with Palmland regarding the baggage car on the rear......

Though when I rode the northbound Crescent earlier this month, I was in the second sleeper and experienced the smoothest ride I have ever had over the Southern Railway.

That's interesting that the California Zephyr is operating with sleepers rear as well..... and that's as it should be I think.

It will be interesting to see whether the Viewliner sleepers remain on the rear through the summer or if that was just a cold weather thing.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page