TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » How did I get to be a "Full Member?"

Author Topic: How did I get to be a "Full Member?"
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just noticed that I have graduated from being a Junior Member of this forum to being a Full Member! How did that happen? I still don't have a star rating, however! Gotta work on that, now, I guess! [Smile]

--------------------
Train Granny

http://www.traingranny.com
http://www.facebook.com/traingranny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Posts: 182 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a very old forum (as far as the software goes). I think it automatically makes you a full member after you've posted a few times. I don't even know if the "Rate Member" thing works any more.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rate a member still works when I'm on the site..... though it may not for everyone.

If yours is working, You can 'display' your user rating by clicking 'My Profile' near the top of this page and then clicking to edit your profile.

In the section titled 'User Preferences' you'll want to put a little check in the box which says something to the effect of "Allow My User Rating to Be Shown".

Or, if you prefer, you may leave the setting alone and keep your rating to yourself!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are like Lake Wobegon, where all the children are above average.
Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
We are like Lake Wobegon, where all the children are above average.

And we are sometimes given to wandering off-subject to talk about ponies and bagpipers!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a Lake Wobegon fan, so I guess I'm in the right place!

--------------------
Train Granny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Posts: 182 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To make a long explanation short in regards to bagpipes and ponies, we once had a lengthy discussion here about ways to improve the Amtrak experience. Entertainment with bagpipes was suggested. There was mention of the Doppler effect of bagpipes as a train passed. Ponies were added because they are nice? It was all very ugly and revealed a twisted sense of humor we may all share.

References to bagpipes and ponies have continued ever since. There, we have come out of the closet!

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HopefulRailUser
Member # 4513

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for HopefulRailUser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still fondly remember that discussion when I see ponies from the train.

Or bagpipes.

--------------------
Vicki in usually sunny Southern California

Posts: 951 | From: Redondo Beach, CA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've blocked bagpipes from my memory... And cowbells...
Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was late to the discussion about bagpipes and cowbells but since I own a quarter horse mare and a miniature gelding that's the size of a pony, I too have come out of the closet.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Granny
Member # 30118

I think being on this forum for so long has had a strange impact on you guys. [Smile] And, some of you must be old, like me. I have found that the sense of humor becomes more twisted with age.

On another note, I have double posted my comment about Lake Wobegon (in this thread) and can't seem to find a way to delete the extra post. Every time I think I'm pretty technology savvy, something like this comes along and smacks me down!

--------------------
Train Granny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Ocala Mike
Member # 4657

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocala Mike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Train Granny, you need to click on the icon (4th from the left) that has a little pencil on it at the top of your post. Follow the prompts to edit or delete any of your posts, after signing in.
Posts: 1530 | From: Ocala, FL | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Judy McFarland
Member # 4435

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Judy McFarland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are on to you, Train Granny. Your double-posting was just a way of boosting your numbers! And for your efforts - you may receive a concert from some bagpiping ponies!

--------------------
My new "default" station (EKH) has no baggage service or QuikTrak machine, but the parking is free! And the NY Central RR Museum is just across the tracks (but not open at Amtrak train times. . ..)

Posts: 337 | From: Goshen, IN | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sbalax
Member # 2801

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for sbalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, Mike--

If the counter is working you just posted #1000. Congratulations!

Frank in cool and sunny SBA

Posts: 2160 | From: Santa Barbara, CA, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike Smith
Member # 447

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mike Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, I haven't noticed... I guess this is #1001...

[Smile]

Posts: 1418 | From: Houston, Republic of Texas | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A connection between Lake Wobegon and railroads:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Lake-Wobegon-Trails/135694816462586

The Lake Wobegon trail is part of an old Burlington Northern corridor. Looks like a great place for walking or bicycling.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Richard,
I"m glad you connected the Lake Wobegon Trail to railroads, since all our posts are supposed to concern railroad topics! [Smile] We're not supposed to use one-liners, either, so I added this extra sentence!

--------------------
Train Granny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
The Lake Wobegon Rail Trail is the former route of Great Northern's Western Star. It was a secondary Chi-Seattle train to the Empire Builder. The Builder used the GN mainline via Wilmar instead of the Star's now abandoned route via St. Cloud. Amtrak's Builder now uses the ex-Northern Pacific route to St. Cloud on the other side of the Mississippi.
yukon11
Member # 2997

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for yukon11     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't know, TwinStar, that the Western Star went all the way east to Chicago. I dug up an old schedule for trains 27 & 28 both into and out of Chicago:

http://www.thomasgloger.com/weststar.htm

Further research says that the Western Star was possibly the premier tourist train to Glacier Park, with dome cars and a more leisurely schedule compared to that of the Empire Builder. They say it had greater daylight time into the Rocky Mountains.

You will find, Marty, that we frequently drift from a railroad topic to just about anything, provided it is ok with the moderator. However, I haven't heard much discussion of Higgs Boson, of late.

Richard

Posts: 1909 | From: Santa Rosa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Richard,
All the GN and NP west coast trains ran between St. Paul and Chicago on the exact same schedule and tracks as one of CBQ's 3 trains: the Morning Zephyr, Afternoon Zephyr or the (overnight) Blackhawk. At one point in time they may have been separate trains, but I think later they may have been a rainbow of colors all hitched together. Besides the 3 railroads, GN changed from orange to blue toward the end of passenger service.

And for Marty: GN = Great Northern, NP = Northern Pacific, CBQ = Chicago Burlington & Quincy, all of which merged into BN (Burlington Northern), which later merged with Santa Fe to become BNSF.

Train Granny
Member # 30118

Thank you, TwinStar, for the translation!! You guys are beginning to understand!!

--------------------
Train Granny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Train Granny
Member # 30118

quote:
Originally posted by TwinStarRocket:
To make a long explanation short in regards to bagpipes and ponies, we once had a lengthy discussion here about ways to improve the Amtrak experience. Entertainment with bagpipes was suggested. There was mention of the Doppler effect of bagpipes as a train passed. Ponies were added because they are nice?

I have searched for this original thread about bagpipes and ponies unsuccessfully. I would love to read it just for laughs if anyone knows where to find it!

--------------------
Train Granny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Marty,
There are no actual topics/titles about bagpipes and ponies. They just crept into topics where some of us became silly and whimsical and abandoned all pretense of a serious rail discussion. Some may think this inappropriate, but we all have become friends here and why not just make each other laugh once in awhile.

Using the "search" tool just above the first post- Search Word: Bagpipes, match any, Search Forum: Amtrak, Search In: Entire Message, and Any Date. I get 54 topics.

On page 3 of the search results you will find the first mention of bagpipes about halfway through a topic about on board movies dated 9/23/06. The rest is history

On 10/20/06, Mr. Pressley added ponies. In subsequent topics the phrase "bagpipes and ponies" came to refer to all the silly suggestions of ways to improve the travel experience, including drum therapy, blimps and stagecoaches.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page