RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Oh, My! All Railfans are NOT the Same!

Author Topic: Oh, My! All Railfans are NOT the Same!
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the flap about my posting the same question on here and on Trainorders gave me some new blogging fodder! Thanks guys! I needed that!

New post at http://www.traingranny.com

--------------------
Train Granny

http://www.traingranny.com
http://www.facebook.com/traingranny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Posts: 182 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it against the forum rules to post something every time a new blog entry is made?
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KCTrainlady
Member # 31326

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for KCTrainlady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we make it a rule?

--------------------
KCTrainlady

Posts: 1 | From: Kansas City, MO | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Post all you want, Train Granny. The more opinions, the better. I don't see anything wrong with asking the same question on more than one site. After all, no one is being forced to read your posts and respond.

I do agree that travel questions should be as specific as possible. The people posting on rail sites come from many socio-economic backgrounds. Some (especially those comfortably retired) tend to presume that everyone enjoys the same high level of spending power. So what one forum member considers a "reasonably-priced" hotel could be well beyond your means.

Personally, the only way I'm able to travel is by bidding for hotels on Priceline, at no more than $70 per night. If I had to pay the $125 to $175 that even so-called "reasonably priced" hotels normally charge, I wouldn't be able to make the trip at all.

But keep posting! Your enthusiasm is infectious.

------------

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, dilly! I am having a lot of fun! Your suggestion about including specificity in my questions is a very good one. I may be retired, but I'm living on a retired teacher's income... so, I must be frugal!

--------------------
Train Granny

http://www.traingranny.com
http://www.facebook.com/traingranny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Posts: 182 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TwinStarRocket
Member # 2142

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for TwinStarRocket     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a 19th century quote somewhere from a speaker in parliament speaking out against passenger rail, -that it allowed the lower classes to travel at will.

Long live the frugal foamer. I back off at any accommodation exceeding $100/night.

Posts: 1572 | From: St. Paul, MN | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding hotels - I search for the best rate at chains which are generally acceptable and will spend in excess of $100 sometimes. The convenience of reaching the accomodation and how long I will be using it are also considerations. I once shocked Mr. Norman by staying in Minneapolis at a hotel operated by a chain normally above my price-range....... but I had managed a special rate and it was withing walking distance of both the Hiawatha Light Rail and then the railroad yard I was catching an excursion train from the following morning.

The difficulty in staying in the nicer places, as in Minneapolis, is that I'm tempted to lounge around the hotel getting my full dollar's worth rather than being out enjoying the place I'm supposed to be experiencing.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page