RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » What are Horizon cars?

Author Topic: What are Horizon cars?
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my obsessive quest to learn all I can about Amtrak, I have recently heard about Horizon cars. I understand they are single level and were formerly used on the route formerly known as Prince, er, the San Diegan.

When were these cars built? I saw some not too good photos of one and they looked like they came from the '40s or '50s or, but the windows were smaller than you usually found in those days, more like you find on '70s Amfleet cars.

I am curious because I read yesterday that if new Surfliner equipment cannot be obtained in time for the startup of the Coast Daylight they may use Horizon equipment for a while.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

[This message has been edited by Mr. Toy (edited 04-21-2001).]

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Genesis803
Member # 122

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Genesis803     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Horizon cars were built by Bombardier in 1990 and are used by many commuter railroads and Amtrak.
Amtrak uses them mostly on the Chicago/Midwest area trains and the San Diegan. The new Pacific Surfliner cars are replacing them on the San Diegan route.
They are not the best to ride in. They clearly weren't intended for long-distance use. The seats are very close together and the windows are very tiny. Hope this info helps.

[This message has been edited by Genesis803 (edited 04-21-2001).]

Posts: 34 | From: Biloxi, MS USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are these the cars that Amtrak converted into baggage cars?
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MPALMER
Member # 125

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MPALMER     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think so. Some FP40 locomotives were converted for baggage use---the engines were removed and a side door installed; they are sometimes referred to as "cabbage" cars.
The Horizon cars are relatively new. They have a different side profile...they have angled (instead of rounded) sides

Posts: 874 | From: South Bay (LA County), Calif, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for the info.
Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Genesis803
Member # 122

Rate Member
Icon 3 posted      Profile for Genesis803     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amtrak also converted some older unused Heritage coach cars in baggage cars. They are numbered in the 1700 series and are in the phase 4 paint scheme.
Posts: 34 | From: Biloxi, MS USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLC
Member # 58

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Genesis803:
Amtrak uses them [Horizon Cars]mostly on the Chicago/Midwest area trains and the San Diegan. ...They clearly weren't intended for long-distance use.

Horizon snack bar cars are routinely used on the Three Rivers and Pennsylvanian, AMTRAK's long distance eastern mail and express trains that incidentally also haul passengers.

[This message has been edited by Genesis803 (edited 04-21-2001).]

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page