RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Rainbow Fleet

Author Topic: Rainbow Fleet
Italiancanuck89
Member # 1873

Rate Member
Icon 9 posted      Profile for Italiancanuck89     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I totally agree that Amtrak's countless different appearances is rather ridiculous. I would like to see a uniformed appearance. In a way Amtrak's different paint schemes seems to reflect the way it's going now. Don't get em wrong i love Amtrak but somebody needs to take a leading role
Posts: 115 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
F40PHR231
Member # 1350

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for F40PHR231   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I agree too. The Warrington administration spent too much time worrying about 'looks', Phase V repaints, three-sheets-to-the-wind logo, etc.

What happened? Amtrak dug itself into a deeper hole and all this turmoil happens.

For now, paint is not a priority. Route structure, management, cars, maintenance, cleaniness is a priority.

Then once stable, with funding, they can move onto a Phase VI (hopefully back to red/white/blue of some sort, to be 'true' Amtrak).

~Chris

Posts: 82 | From: Irvine, CA | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eric
Member # 674

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eric     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last thing on Gunn's mind is what kind of paint the equipment has. I've heard him mention that Amtrak employees should take pride in how their trains look- especially what the public will be seeing. But he's talking more about the cleanliness of the equipment than anything else.
But we'd better just stick with the Ph V, and repaint the remaining units when possible. Even if it is not the "true" Amtrak, it'll be a matching fleet. And those Genesis units look good in PH V, too!

Posts: 553 | From: Flagstaff, AZ USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mart
Member # 1615

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really don't mind when a train is wearing more than one phase, because just one phase might not look as good as another phase on that type of equipment. I do however believe there should be a main phase , but that dosen't mean it has to be on EVERTHING. Personally, the Genesis units
looks it's best in phase III IMO.

[This message has been edited by Mart (edited 08-20-2002).]

Posts: 9 | From: hmm, South of Richmond, Virginia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buslady
Member # 1266

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buslady   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I brought this up a couple months ago. I wish they'd do a contest to anyone who can design the scheme and have ALL cars and engines painted with this ONE scheme. Make the fleet look professional. Right now Amtrak's fleet looks ragtag.

quote:
Originally posted by Italiancanuck89:
I totally agree that Amtrak's countless different appearances is rather ridiculous. I would like to see a uniformed appearance. In a way Amtrak's different paint schemes seems to reflect the way it's going now. Don't get em wrong i love Amtrak but somebody needs to take a leading role

Posts: 47 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Pumps
Member # 1630

Rate Member
Icon 8 posted      Profile for Gas Pumps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Right now, I could care less what color they are. That is not important. How about just washing them once in a while and cleaning the windows every now and then.

------------------

Posts: 8 | From: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dilly
Member # 1427

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for dilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like they say, beauty is only skin deep. All that really matters is whether a train is clean, comfortable, and arrives on time.

Last month, though, I journeyed around the country by train. By rough count, I rode in 15 different types and models of Amtrak cars -- coaches, sleepers, lounges, diners, and cafe cars.

The eastern trains I traveled on (like the Lake Shore Limited and the Pennsylvanian) used a motley mix of Viewliners, Amfleets, Horizons, Heritage diners, Heritage crew dorms, and "one-step-from-the-weeds" Heritage baggage cars.

The paint schemes were as varied as the car shapes and roof lines. So were the exterior and interior refurbishments. Or lack thereof.

But that's what made those trains extremely interesting to look at and ride on. They had personality. And walking through each one was like walking through a time machine.

In contrast, the western trains (like the Southwest Chief, Empire Builder, and Coast Starlight) are highly standardized.

Granted, they're great trains. Comfortable, too. But apart from minor variations, once you've seen one Superliner consist, you've seen 'em all. This becomes really apparent when you travel on several long distance routes in a row.

So give me a string of mismatched Amtrak engines and cars anytime, in every paint scheme -- with an ex-New York Central diner thrown in for extra flavor. It might look strange, but it's far more memorable.

And besides, new paint costs money.

Posts: 793 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Toy
Member # 311

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Toy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mart,
I agree the Genisis units look best in Phase III. But Superliners definitely look best in Phase IV.

dilly,
Your post reminded me of my days on the Coast Starlight in the 1970s. We had two different types of coaches, and lounge cars were different almost every trip (and they were extremely comfortable). Those trains definitely had character.

To all,
yes, there are much more important things than color schemes right now, but this is a fun diversion.

------------------
Trust God, love your neighbor, and never mistake opinion for truth.
-Mr. Toy

The Del Monte Club Car

Posts: 2649 | From: California's Monterey Peninsula | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mart
Member # 1615

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, even though phase III is my favorite , it dosen't look as good as phase IV on those superliner cars might I add viewliners as well. It's kind of interesting how phase III and IV contrast with each other. Some equipment look good in both. It would probaly be good if we have a vareity of phases used, cause it would not be very interesting if everything wore the same phase. With a vareity though it's kind of hard to decide what phase get painted on what, because people's opinions defer. Maybe to avoid this problem some people want everything to be painted the same.

[This message has been edited by Mart (edited 08-21-2002).]

Posts: 9 | From: hmm, South of Richmond, Virginia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 9 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First Question:

Amtrak can't afford to repair the cars on the RIP track at Beech Grove. Buslady, are you offering NRPC a couple of million for fleet repainting?

Second Question/Comment:

I guess most of this board is too bloody young to remember a Rainbow consist. I know Gilbert remembers the first five years after May 1, 1971 ... when we could SP-NP-BN-UP-AT&SF-SCL-Amtrak in one consist...

The Coast Starlight, 1976.

John

quote:
Originally posted by Buslady:
. . . (snip) . . . and have ALL cars and engines painted with this ONE scheme. . . . (snip) . . .

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

[This message has been edited by PullmanCo (edited 08-21-2002).]

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RRRICH
Member # 1418

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted      Profile for RRRICH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember the "Rainbow Era" of AMTRAK very well!! I remember seeing the old North Coast Hiawatha (now defunct) pass through Deerfield, IL with a mixed consist of UP-BN-GN-NP and maybe one or 2 Milwaukee Road cars back in the early 70's!! I have a slide of that somewhere...
Posts: 2428 | From: Grayling, MI | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Southwest Chief
Member # 1227

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted      Profile for Southwest Chief   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why does the entire trainset have to match???
Does anybody remember perhaps the most famous railroad paint scheme ever used? The Santa Fe's warbonnet scheme I belive, as well as many many others do, was the best scheme ever. But interestingly enough, the passenger cars weren't painted warbonnet! Santa Fe passenger cars were simple stainless steel, aside frome the few smothside two tone grey Valley series cars. So Amtrak is doing fine if the locos don't match the trainset. I like the phase V scheme on the genesis locos. Apart from the wierd wave like top, the dark grey and blue looks really really good. The Southwest Chief is one snazzy looking train when it has all phase V locos(which is the norm now), and the sleek Superliners in phase IV. Oops also the baggage car in phase IV. So look to the past, the Santa Fe and numerous others had contrasting locos pulling thier trains so why can't Amtrak?

Posts: 579 | From: San Bernardino Subdivison | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SWC...

I can live with stainless steel and Railroad Roman lettering. ... with lead units under the Warbonnet.

I can also live with Armour Yellow, Harbormist Gray, scarlet Scotchlite striping, and Futura lettering ... with lead units under the Wings

John

------------------
The City of Saint Louis (UP, 1967) is still my standard for passenger operations

Posts: 1404 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Konstantin
Member # 18

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for Konstantin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PullmanCo, I am old enough to remember the real rainbow trains of the early 1970's.

I also remember one time the Chief (not the Super Chief or Southwest Chief, just the Chief) coming by one day with all silver Santa fe cars, except for one dark blue Baltimore and Ohio. It was a real interesting site.

------------------
Elias Valley Railroad (N-scale)
www.geocities.com/evrr

Posts: 446 | From: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PullmanCo
Member # 1138

Icon 10 posted      Profile for PullmanCo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Konstantin,

Ahhh, yessss.....

The through transcon Pullman.

As I vaguely recall, Uncle Peter interchanged through Pullmans with NYC and PRR ... I'll check Kratville tonight.

John

------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page