RailForum.com
TrainWeb.com

RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Official Trip Report: TrainGranny Journey #2

Author Topic: Official Trip Report: TrainGranny Journey #2
Train Granny
Member # 30118

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Train Granny   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Segment 1: Washington DC to Chicago, Train 29(21)
Great service all around! Nathan was our SCA and did a magnificent job! The dining room staff, headed by Eric, was fantastic, too. Food was excellent!

My only complaint was that there was an odor (septic tank kind of odor) that was frequently present in the car, especially near the stairway. It seemed to be more obvious when the train was sitting still, but that might have been my imagination.

Segment 2: Chicago to Washington DC , Train 50(24)

Once again, we had a fantastic sleeper car attendant. His name was Joe, and he was pleasant, helpful and a very hard worker. Since there was only one sleeping car on this train, Joe had a solo act. Even during the stressful period near the end of the trip (with close to four hours of delays), Joe remained upbeat and did not let the few passengers who were complaining drag him down.

In Viewliner roomette #2, everything worked well except the temperature control; and, apparently, that was problem in the entire car! My sister much preferred the comfort of the top bunk on the Viewliner. She was able to sit up on the top bunk, and loved the window as well. I was much more comfortable in the roomette with another adult this time. (learning more about packing less)

The meals were good, but not outstanding, and the dining room staff (whose names I don’t know because they never introduced themselves) lacked the friendly warmth I have seen on other trains. My opinion of the head waiter was probably also affected by an ‘encounter’ I had with him when I was entering the sleeper car, and he stopped me for questioning! (A blog post in the near future on that.)

The many delays on the train (beginning with the private car that had sticking brakes) still did not spoil the trip for me. The Cardinal has some beautiful scenery going through New River Gorge, and one of the train’s engineers, Tim, was most helpful in helping point out some of the history of the area and giving details about the tall steel bridge in the gorge. He went out of his way to add details to the scenic trip along the New River.

Segement 3: The Vermonter to St. Albans and back to DC

This segment didn’t happen! TrainGranny crashed and burned after the long night on the Cardinal and a very late arrival at the hotel. (Another great blog post when I have time to write it!) Instead of the Vermonter, I took the Palmetto back to Savannah and made it home by about 10 PM. No regrets! ☺ I’ll catch the Vermonter next time!

My personal highlight from this trip has already been posted on my blog. You can read it at

http://traingranny.com/2012/04/26/train-necklace-on-5024/

--------------------
Train Granny

http://www.traingranny.com
http://www.facebook.com/traingranny

Martha (Marty) Hale
Savannah, Georgia

Posts: 182 | From: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Given the delays you encountered on the Cardinal, I can't say that I blame you for punting on the Vermonter this time.

The Vermonter makes for an awfully long day in coach and having just recently ridden the Silver Meteor and Montrealer, you've already seen the very same.....or once you reached Vermont.... very similar scenery.

I am curious how your trip on the Palmetto went. I was a regular rider (and an even more regular watcher) of this train when I worked in Fayetteville, NC.

That you approach train travel with good humor and flexibility is a real bonus...... and something that would be expected from the better career educators I have known!

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
notelvis
Member # 3071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for notelvis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll add that when I was younger, long rides in coach.....even overnight.... did not take the toll on me that a long ride does now.

I don't do well coming in to a hotel off a late train well past dark and then being up for an early departure the next morning. In other words, over the years I've learned to look for ways to break trips differently.....

A for instance - and in no way do I intend this to be a criticism - were I on the eastbound Cardinal from Chicago, I would have planned to get off the train in Charlottesville, VA where I could either then head south later that evening on the Crescent (after a nice 'off-train' meal) or continue on to Washington or New York the following morning. In your case the options would have included the connecting bus to Richmond and overnight to Savannah on the Silver Meteor from there..... or catching the Palmetto the following day.

The campus of the University of Virginia is only a few blocks away and that is a pleasant place to explore between trains. There are also two or three hotels near the train station ranging from an urban Red Roof Inn to a Marriot property where I might bump into Mr. Norman had I been able to get a good enough special rate that night!

Again...... in younger years I would have gone in to Manassas or even the DC area before overnighting off the Cardinal..... but with experience I have learned that there is enough in Charlottesville to hold my interest.... or to insure enough of a break even if my train is 3-4 hours late.

--------------------
David Pressley

Advocating for passenger trains since 1973!

Climbing toward 5,000 posts like the Southwest Chief ascending Raton Pass. Cautiously, not nearly as fast as in the old days, and hoping to avoid premature reroutes.

Posts: 4203 | From: Western North Carolina | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page