RAILforum Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» RAILforum » Passenger Trains » Amtrak » Interesting pre-trip mailout

Author Topic: Interesting pre-trip mailout
canaveral
Member # 15138

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for canaveral         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the 1st time in nearly 200,000 miles of Amtrak travel, I received in the mail a new Amtrak timetable - unrequested, and with my 1st name given a weird spelling - plus the Empire Builder magazine - which includes detailed prices of all diner and lounge items - and which we will be riding in a few weeks.

Reasonable prices? Dinner steak $25.75, dinner seafood catch $21.75, lunch Angus steak burger or veggie burger $9.50, breakfast pancakes or French toast $9.00.

Crossword puzzle, articles, timetable, and relevant ads fill out the colorful 32-page magazine.

Posts: 17 | From: central Florida | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ColdRain&Snow
Member # 15381

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for ColdRain&Snow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes, while probably nice to be on the receiving end of, I don't think Amtrak should be mailing out unsolicited, bulky (i.e. expensive to ship) packets to its passengers. Money is very tight, and sending out unsolicited timetables strikes me as a poor use of scarce organizational resources.

Scratching my head on that one.

Posts: 46 | From: Playa Del Rey, CA | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smitty195
Member # 5102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted      Profile for smitty195     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's weird---never heard of anyone receiving this stuff before. And I agree---Amtrak can't afford to do this type of marketing.
Posts: 2355 | From: Pleasanton, CA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be a small test of niche marketing to see if Amtrak can build repeat ridership on the EB route.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SilverStar092
Member # 2652

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted      Profile for SilverStar092     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, this was not special marketing by Amtrak. Knowing that Canaveral was about to leave on his trip, I ordered one for him as a surprise when I ordered myself a timetable. The misspelled first name was intended as a tip-off that I had it mailed. Unfortunately, Mr. Canaveral is busy daydreaming about his trip and didn't catch the obvious. Sorry this mislead you guys.
Posts: 561 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Henry Kisor
Member # 4776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Henry Kisor   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, well, at least we know that Amtrak isn't frittering away money on useless marketing . . . at least in this case.
Posts: 2236 | From: Evanston, Ill. and Ontonagon, Mich. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Home Page